Dendrobium Amitabh Bachhan

mani nair

Oct 17, 2011, 7:03:27 AM10/17/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

I am sending a photo of the Orchid - Dendrobium Amitabh Bachhan along with the photo of the sign board.
This orchid was named after Mr. Amitabh Bachhan  to commemorate his visit to the famous National Orchid Garden, Singapore.
We should be proud that an orchid exists in the name of an Indian Celebrity.

Place :  National Orchid Garden, Singapore
Date  : 14th May 2007
Habitat : Cultivated

Regards,

Mani Nair
den-amitabh.jpg
Den-Amitabh1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 17, 2011, 8:00:53 AM10/17/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
It is really good and an honour for all of us Indians. In records, it will go as Dendroium 'Amitabh Bachan' or Dendrobium cv. Amitabh Bachan

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Neha Singh

Oct 17, 2011, 12:41:56 PM10/17/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Mani sir for sharing this wonderful information n unique
species .
I m learning so much here !

Regards
Neha S

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 17, 2011, 1:18:45 PM10/17/11
to efloraofindia
Singapore botanic gardens is famous for producing hybrids. They are
one of the pioneers. And then they name it after celebrities. If you
go there and you pay a good amount to them, they may name one hybrid
after you.
Pankaj

mani nair

Oct 18, 2011, 12:05:13 AM10/18/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji, you mean to say that corruption is not only in India, but everywhere.
There should be a Anna Hazare in Singapore also !!

Regards,

Mani.

mani nair

Oct 18, 2011, 12:06:37 AM10/18/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji for the correct orchid ID and Neha ji for the compliments.
Regards,
Mani

Smita Raskar

Oct 18, 2011, 12:08:13 AM10/18/11
to mani nair, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
My fv flowers titled with my fv film stat:)  do you hv close up pic of this?
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Ushadi micromini

Oct 18, 2011, 1:24:28 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
wah!!!

we should all claim to be farmers when we are not...
then orchids can be named after us...

kya duniya hain...

usha di

mani ji you are right... this particular virus is everywhere...

====

On Oct 18, 9:05 am, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pankaj ji, you mean to say that corruption is not only in India, but
> everywhere.
> There should be a Anna Hazare in Singapore also !!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 18, 2011, 2:12:19 AM10/18/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
No no, this is not corruption. This is a way to popularize orchids.
Its all done to please valuable guests.
If I produce a hybrid I can name it after any one. No one can stop me.
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36c, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
          sahani...@gmail.com
          pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
           +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

mani nair

Oct 18, 2011, 3:13:45 AM10/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for enlighting me about that. I am totally novice in this area.
Regards,
Mani

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 18, 2011, 3:15:34 AM10/18/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Its like, you go and pay and devote one orchid to your loved ones. I
would be going there next month :( unfortunately I am not so rich.....
Pankaj

           +852 9436 6251 (mobile)

PreSam

Oct 18, 2011, 7:01:01 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing the picture Maniji. I remember they had named a
hybrid after Usha Narayanan, the wife of our late President K.R.
Narayanan and it was wrongly mentioned that she was the wife of the
Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee. Vajpayee being a bachelor would be
shocked if he knew this.

Regards,
Prejith

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 18, 2011, 7:22:28 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
On second thought, why wasnt he happy :P....
Just kidding....
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2011, 9:21:56 AM10/18/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
Hongkong seems to have rejuvenated you. I like such bubbling spirits around in this group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 18, 2011, 9:30:53 AM10/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
:) Thanks for the compliments sir.... its all because of blessings of
seniors like you that I am here.,,,,
Thanks so much....
Pankaj

Ushadi micromini

Oct 19, 2011, 1:12:24 AM10/19/11
to efloraofindia
ok ok eat one more durian then!

just kidding
u di
==

On Oct 18, 6:30 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> :) Thanks for the compliments sir.... its all because of blessings of
> seniors like you that I am here.,,,,
> Thanks so much....
> Pankaj
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Pankaj ji
> > Hongkong seems to have rejuvenated you. I like such bubbling spirits around
> > in this group.
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>
>           sahanipan...@gmail.com
>           pankajsah...@rediffmail.com

hari lal

Oct 19, 2011, 1:53:31 AM10/19/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
very nice thanks for sharing
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

mani nair

Oct 20, 2011, 5:49:47 AM10/20/11
to hari lal, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Smita ji, Usha ji, Prejith ji and Hari Lal ji for the compliments.
Regards,
Mani Nair