eclipta prostata

Mohina Macker

Oct 21, 2011, 1:55:01 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
eclipta prostata of asteraceae family
been seeing it in flower for the past couple of weeks
at alibaug
regards
mohina macker
DSCN0832aa.jpg
DSCN0834aa.jpg
DSCN0835aa.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 21, 2011, 4:10:19 AM10/21/11
to Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Many thanks Mohina ji for sharing this plant.
... taking opportunity to put this trivia : Eclipta prostrata has one of its synonyms as Eclipta erecta.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 4:52:53 AM10/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Not a big deal Dinesh ji
Many species are supposed to have stable (genetically fixed) variants under different ecological conditions. These are better known as ecotypes, although some call them varieties or subspecies (different areas), and some enthusiastic persons giving them ranks of independent species. It is common to have erect and prostrate types in many species including our Euphorbia hirta. In fact this concept of ecotypes was developed simultaneously in Europe (Hieracium vulgatum) and California (Potentilla fruticosa) around 1822.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 4:54:56 AM10/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Forgot to mention, prostrate types generally develop under areas of intense grazing and trampling, erect types under undisturbed areas.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

Oct 21, 2011, 5:10:49 AM10/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
totally agree with Sirji, i observed that the plant growing near water logged area or near lake, are prostrate and plant growing singly in the garden or on the road side are erect and also smaller in size..

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

hari lal

Oct 21, 2011, 5:13:06 AM10/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Eclipta prostrata Eclipta alba Eclipta erecta are syn of this plant common called bhringraja
hepato-splenomegaly and associated disorders ,elephantiasis,inflammations ,gastric disorders, anorexia,worm infestation,skin diseases,wounds,ulcers,ophthalmic disorders ,heafache,hypertension,strangury,leprosy,pruritus,fever,jaundice,toothache and earache,

Seed- aphrodisiac

promote hair growth, stimulate the functions of liver, heal and clean ulcers and increase eye sight.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Satish Phadke

Oct 21, 2011, 5:21:44 AM10/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Your Trivia
(Meaning :unimportant matters or details/something of little value or significance )
turned out to be important. A good discussion in the end due to the contrasting meanings of species names

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Oct 21, 2011, 5:34:00 AM10/21/11
to Satish Phadke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Yes Satish ji. Totally in agreement.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 5:43:47 AM10/21/11
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Eclipta prostrata reminds me of our visit to Rudarpur on way to Nainital. We stayed for the night there while on way to Nainital at our cousin's place. Nearly half of the family went out early in the morning to seek an important herbal medicine from a a guru in a distant village. In the afternoon when they came back, I asked them about it, and the lady of the house told me that guru had given them a herb brought from a deep forest. She opened a knot of her dupatta and showed me the plant. I asked her to come along and showed her a number of plants of Eclipta prostrata growing along the sewer drain outside their wall. She was both astonished and happy.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Oct 21, 2011, 5:54:33 AM10/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Interesting.......
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Mohina Macker

Oct 21, 2011, 8:03:42 AM10/21/11
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
many thanks for this wonderful discussion
learnt a lot
regards
mohina

Mahadeswara

Oct 21, 2011, 9:37:12 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
This is an important medicinal plant. Please read the interesting and
useful article by Mrs. Sheila Rani Chunkat on its importance for
the preparation of 'bhringaraja' oil and other medicinal uses in
Ayurveda. The link is provided below.
http://www.hindu.com/2000/04/02/stories/1302048d.htm
Extract from the article:
Karisalankanni, as it is known in Tamil (bhringaraj - Sanskrit), is
one of the 10 auspicious herbs of the Dasapuspam group (10 flowers).
There are three varieties of bhringarajah - blue, white and yellow.
The Latin name for both the blue and the white varieties is Eclipta
prostrata (earlier called Eclipta alba). The Tamil name is
karasalankanni. The white variety grows wild and is easily available.
The blue variety is rare and found on hilly slopes. The Latin name for
the yellow variety is Wedelia chinensis (also sometimes known as
Wedelia calendulacea) and is called manjal karisalankanni in Tamil.
The yellow variety is not easily available in the wild and is
generally grown in homes. The three varieties of karisalankanni belong
to the same family - Asteraceae.

18297  Mob: 9810359089http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Oct 21, 2011, 9:49:54 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia

so plants are using their innate intelligence in the PRESENT TENSE...
not in some nebulous future, as in Darwin's theory of successive
generations developing survival tactics...

usha di

On Oct 21, 1:54 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgot to mention, prostrate types generally develop under areas of intense
> grazing and trampling, erect types under undisturbed areas.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not a big deal Dinesh ji
> > Many species are supposed to have stable (genetically fixed) variants under
> > different ecological conditions. These are better known as ecotypes,
> > although some call them varieties or subspecies (different areas), and some
> > enthusiastic persons giving them ranks of independent species. It is common
> > to have erect and prostrate types in many species including our Euphorbia
> > hirta. In fact this concept of ecotypes was developed simultaneously in
> > Europe (Hieracium vulgatum) and California (Potentilla fruticosa) around
> > 1822.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Many thanks Mohina ji for sharing this plant.
> >> ... taking opportunity to put this trivia : *Eclipta prostrata* has one
> >> of its synonyms as *Eclipta erecta*.
>
> >> Regards.
> >> Dinesh

Ushadi micromini

Oct 21, 2011, 9:57:46 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
Correct, the most of the Bhringraj we saw during our AYurvedic herbal
botany training in Gujarat Ayurvedic Univ. many years ago ..were
growing near waste water pipes, esp if they leaked.... yuk...
Bringraj grows best with drip irrigation , slow but steady round the
clock water supply that drains away.. I tried it in my balcony with an
old shirodhara gazzette one summer/fall...

in your story... better the guru bring the herbs from the supposedly
clean forest ...
but, if she ate those sewer drain water watered herb, she would be
loaded up with toxins...
then she would be in deep fire having rescued herself from the frying
pan of having to walk to the guru...

ha ha
usha di
======

On Oct 21, 2:43 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eclipta prostrata reminds me of our visit to Rudarpur on way to Nainital. We
> stayed for the night there while on way to Nainital at our cousin's place.
> Nearly half of the family went out early in the morning to seek an important
> herbal medicine from a a guru in a distant village. In the afternoon when
> they came back, I asked them about it, and the lady of the house told me
> that guru had given them a herb brought from a deep forest. She opened a
> knot of her dupatta and showed me the plant. I asked her to come along and
> showed her a number of plants of Eclipta prostrata growing along the sewer
> drain outside their wall. She was both astonished and happy.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dinesh ji
> > Your Trivia
> > (Meaning :unimportant matters or details/something of little value or
> > significance )
> > turned out to be important. A good discussion in the end due to the
> > contrasting meanings of species names
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Many thanks Mohina ji for sharing this plant.
> >> ... taking opportunity to put this trivia : *Eclipta prostrata* has one
> >> of its synonyms as *Eclipta erecta*.
>
> >> Regards.
> >> Dinesh

Ushadi micromini