Flowering trees in delhi--Sausage tree(Kigelia africana)

vinod kumar gupta

May 17, 2008, 9:38:44 AM5/17/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Taken at dilashad garden(east delhi)which has lots of these trees

Vinod

Sausage_Kigelia-africana_Delhi_157_100508.jpg
Sausage_Kigelia-africana_Delhi_194_100508.jpg

sanal nair

May 18, 2008, 2:09:15 AM5/18/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends,
              Which are the commonly found trees in Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Trivandrum  and Kolkatta

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2008, 3:51:47 AM5/21/08
to sanal nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am listing a few in Kolkata giving myself a few minutes:
Banyan Tree
Copperpod (Peeli Gulmohar- Peltophorum pterocarpum)
Jarul (Lagerstroemia speciosa)
Ashok (Polyalthia longifolia)
Gulmohar (Delonix regia)
Aam (Mango)
Bombax ceiba (Semal)
English Tamrind/ Jungle Jalebi (Pithecellobium dulce)
Kadamb (Neolamarckia cadamba)
Kapok (Ceiba pentandra)
Peepal
Terminalia arjuna (Arjun)

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 24, 2008, 2:26:45 AM5/24/08
to sanal nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think others should also come up from other cities, so that we know which are our 10 or 20 most common trees in cities. I think it will be quite common for various cities.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 24, 2008, 9:54:09 AM5/24/08
to J.M. Garg, sanal nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Off hand I can mention the following trees in Gwalior M.P. in Central India:
Maharukh
Ashok longifolia
Dalbergia Sissoo
Neem
Karanj
Acacia nilotica
Prosopis juliflora (planted by Forest Dept especially for the ravines.
Gulmohur
Lime (nimbu)
Guava
Peltophorum (introduced lately)
Ber
Bombax ceiba
Plumeria
May add to the list as and when I am ready with another list.
akbhatt

sibda...@gmail.com

May 26, 2008, 1:02:59 PM5/26/08
to indiantreepix
Common name of some trees are very confusing. For example - Ashoka in
Bengali is the sacred Saraca indica, which is also considered the real
Ashoka by Randhawa and others. Under this Ashoka grove Sita was
confined by Ravana (as it is commonly believed). The Polyalthia
longifolia is known in Bengali as Debdaru (not Deodar), the heaven's
tree. In Hindi it is Askoka, but it is also known as Asopalav, which
is less confusing, as it is not the real Ashok. Debdaru is also
considered sacred and are found around temples. Temporary arches are
often made of its leaves during various religious occssions. It is a
good avenue tree. The drooping variety is remarkable as Avenue tree or
in Parks and Gardens. - Sibdas Ghosh