Rosaceae Week: Pyracantha coccinea from California

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

8 Oct 2011, 11:16:01 pm08/10/11
to efloraofindia
Pyracantha coccinea M J. Boeth

Tall shrub with lanceolate to oblong-ovate 3-4 cm long serrulate leaves and producing scarlet-orange, about 6 mm fruits in clusters.

Photographed from California

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pyracantha-coccinea-California-1.jpg
Pyracantha-coccinea-California-2.jpg

Balkar Singh

8 Oct 2011, 11:32:38 pm08/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks for showing Sir
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

19 Nov 2018, 2:45:21 am19/11/18
to Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
A relook at this post was mandated today by a post on a WhatsApp Group, which may need checking our plants in cultivation. Two species which I have from California , initially mixed up but now clearly distinguished. The fruits in both turn from green to yellow, orange and finally nearly red as they fully matured. They are differentiated as:
Pyracantha coccinea: leaves narrowly elliptical, finely crenate-serrate along margin, tip acute, inflorescence pubescent.
P. koidzumii: leaves obovate-oblong, margin entire, apex obtuse, nearly rounded to emarginate, inflorescence glabrous.

This plant is clearly P. koidzumii.
I will upload real P. coccinea separately.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

19 Nov 2018, 8:23:21 am19/11/18
to GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks, Singh ji