Colours of Nature

Skip to the first unread message

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

10 Apr 2011, 4:00:40 am10/04/11
to indiantreepix
Medium sized deciduous tree, bark smooth. Leaves opposite, ovate, 10-15 cm, coriaceous. Flowers sessile, solitary, terminal, 10 cm. Flowers are pure white and extremely fragrant as they open at night. Small creeping insects can be seen within flower. The very next day they turn golden yellow, lose fragrance and attract diurnal pollinators like bees. A crab spider merged in yellow colour is seen predating on a bee that was attracted by the golden colour.

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
Gardenia.jpg
Gardenia__1_.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

10 Apr 2011, 4:55:39 am10/04/11
to efloraofindia
Sorry, forgot to mention the name as Gardenia latifloia Soland. Local
name Pendro. A rare beautiful tree distributed sparsely in dry hilly
areas of central and western India. The tree is presently in flowers.
Regards,

On Apr 10, 1:00 pm, "Shrikant Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> Medium sized deciduous tree, bark smooth. Leaves opposite, ovate, 10-15 cm, coriaceous. Flowers sessile, solitary, terminal, 10 cm. Flowers are pure white and extremely fragrant as they open at night. Small creeping insects can be seen within flower. The very next day they turn golden yellow, lose fragrance&nbsp;and attract diurnal pollinators like bees. A crab spider merged in yellow colour is seen predating on a bee that was attracted by the golden colour.Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91 20 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
>  Gardenia.jpg
> 128KViewDownload
>
>  Gardenia__1_.jpg
> 264KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

10 Apr 2011, 11:48:01 pm10/04/11
to efloraofindia
Very nice picutres, is it fragrant and does it ever fruit? thanks
Usha di.

======

On Apr 10, 1:55 pm, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to mention the name as Gardenia latifloia Soland. Local
> name Pendro. A rare beautiful tree distributed sparsely in dry hilly
> areas of central and western India. The tree is presently in flowers.
> Regards,
>
> On Apr 10, 1:00 pm, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Medium sized deciduous tree, bark smooth. Leaves opposite, ovate, 10-15 cm, coriaceous. Flowers sessile, solitary, terminal, 10 cm. Flowers are pure white and extremely fragrant as they open at night. Small creeping insects can be seen within flower. The very next day they turn golden yellow, lose fragrance&nbsp;and attract diurnal pollinators like bees. A crab spider merged in yellow colour is seen predating on a bee that was attracted by the golden colour.Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> >  Gardenia.jpg
> > 128KViewDownload
>
> >  Gardenia__1_.jpg
> > 264KViewDownload

shrikant ingalhalikar

12 Apr 2011, 8:51:15 am12/04/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, the flowers are extremely fragrant when they bloom at night but
not so on the next daytime when they turn golden yellow. Fruits are
3-5 cm, globose and hard, not of any edible value. Regards, Shrikant

On Apr 11, 8:48 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > Medium sized deciduous tree, bark smooth. Leaves opposite, ovate, 10-15 cm, coriaceous. Flowers sessile, solitary, terminal, 10 cm. Flowers are pure white and extremely fragrant as they open at night. Small creeping insects can be seen within flower. The very next day they turn golden yellow, lose fragrance&nbsp;and attract diurnal pollinators like bees. A crab spider merged in yellow colour is seen predating on a bee that was attracted by the golden colour.Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91202435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> > >  Gardenia.jpg
> > > 128KViewDownload
>
> > >  Gardenia__1_.jpg
> > > 264KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Neil Soares

12 Apr 2011, 9:15:38 am12/04/11
to efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Hi Mr. Ingalhalikar,
      Have this sapling on my property. Could this be a sapling of Gardenia latifolia ?
                                 Thanks,
                                     Regards,
                                      Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 4/12/11, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
Gardenia sp..jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

12 Apr 2011, 8:53:54 pm12/04/11
to efloraofindia
Neilji, this seems Gardenia resinifera. Leaves for G. latifolia have
to be broadly ovate and has no distribution in your area. Regards,
Shrikant

>  Gardenia sp..jpg
> 150KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Ushadi micromini

12 Apr 2011, 9:37:38 pm12/04/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks, Shrikant ji.

wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to mention the name as Gardenia latifloia Soland. Local
> name Pendro. A rare beautiful tree distributed sparsely in dry hilly
> areas of central and western India. The tree is presently in flowers.
> Regards,
>
> On Apr 10, 1:00 pm, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Medium sized deciduous tree, bark smooth. Leaves opposite, ovate, 10-15 cm, coriaceous. Flowers sessile, solitary, terminal, 10 cm. Flowers are pure white and extremely fragrant as they open at night. Small creeping insects can be seen within flower. The very next day they turn golden yellow, lose fragrance&nbsp;and attract diurnal pollinators like bees. A crab spider merged in yellow colour is seen predating on a bee that was attracted by the golden colour.Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> >  Gardenia.jpg
> > 128KViewDownload
>
> >  Gardenia__1_.jpg
> > 264KViewDownload

Neil Soares

12 Apr 2011, 10:43:39 pm12/04/11
to efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Hi Mr. Ingalhalikar,
    My apologies, forgot to mention that this was planted [and the source failed to provide its true identity]. Am familiar with Dikemali [Gardenia resinifera], hence the question.
                        Regards,
                         Neil Soares.