Maharukh (Ailanthus excelsa)

J.M. Garg

Feb 8, 2008, 11:01:31 PM2/8/08
to indiantreepix
On 2/2/08 at Narendrapur near Kolkata. Male & female flowers are generally are on seperate trees. If anybody have picture of these, pl. post them.

Ailanthus (derived from ailanto, an Ambonese word probably meaning "tree of the gods" or "tree of heaven") is a genus of trees belonging to the family Simaroubaceae, in the order Sapindales (formerly Rutales or Geraniales).

They are fast-growing deciduous trees growing to 25-45 m tall, with spreading branches and large (40-100 cm) pinnate leaves with 15-41 long pointed leaflets, the terminal leaflet normally present, and the basal pairs of leaflets often lobed at their bases. The small yellow to greenish flowers are borne on branched panicles they turn reddish later in the year and eventually brown they stay on the tree for a long time; the male flowers have a strong odour. The odour tends to resemble the smell of strong cat urine or the spray of a male cat. Also, touching the leaves leaves an unpleasant smell on the hands. The fruit is a samara drawn out into a long wing with the seed in the middle. The wood is fine grained and satiny.

The number of species is disputed, with some authorities accepting up to ten species, while others accept six or fewer. Species include:

A silk spinning moth, the Ailanthus moth (Samia cynthia), lives on Ailanthus leaves, and yields a silk more durable and cheaper than mulberry silk, but inferior to it in fineness and gloss.

The above inf. taken from the Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg