Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: Lamiaceae, Vitex trifolia from Delhi

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

10 Jul 2011, 11:15:47 am10/07/11
to efloraofindia
Vitex trifolia, photographed from Vikas Puri in Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-2.jpg
Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-3.jpg

Mahadeswara

11 Jul 2011, 10:21:33 am11/07/11
to efloraofindia
The trifoliate nature of the plant is clearly visible in the third
photographs.The foliage of 1st and 2nd photographs are similar.
However, the third photograph looks like the different one for me.
>  Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
> 135KViewDownload
>
>  Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-2.jpg
> 84KViewDownload
>
>  Vitex-trifolia-Delhi-3.jpg
> 255KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

11 Jul 2011, 12:18:10 pm11/07/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Mahadeshwara ji
They are from the same bush. I have seen these plants closely for several months. The plants that are heavily trimmed to make low hedges generally have simple leaves, although some trifoliate leaves may be seen in the lower branches. If an occasional bush is untrimmed for a long time most of the leaves would be trifoliate. A totally untrimmed shrub (almost a scrambler) would have have almost all trifoliate leaves.