For Id- 011109Ch3

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2009, 1:54:51 AM11/1/09
to indiantreepix
Re-posting separately with one plant per mail.
"Hi,
Can someone please help identify the following?
The first three were seen in the Adyar Poonga and the last two at the
PWD park in Kotturpuram, Chennai.
The last two picture are the same plant. I thought it resembled
Datura, but am not sure.
Thanks
Chithra"
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 1, 2009, 2:50:19 AM11/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
... taking a guess -- Datura fastuosa
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 1, 2009, 3:00:39 AM11/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I suppose Datura innoxia

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Prashant awale

Nov 1, 2009, 7:18:44 AM11/1/09
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix

J.M. Garg

Nov 4, 2009, 2:50:25 AM11/4/09
to Prashant awale, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Muthu Karthick
A reply from Muthu ji:
"The plant is Datura innoxia, common in Chennai"

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 4, 2009, 9:28:39 AM11/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Chithra V
This appears to be Datura as observed rightly by Chitra. Usually referred to as Datura metel, but I cannot pin the exact sps. From pix comparision in Wikipedia it  could be D. inoxia, D.metel or D. wrightii., depending on deatiled characteristic. Here in S. E. Gurgaon it very commonly seen in open land all around. Attaching 2 pix taken recently by me in Gurgaon.

Nov 4, 2009, 9:43:05 AM11/4/09
to Mahendra Prasad, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Chithra V
It  is Datura inoxia