Baobab Flowering

Ravi Vaidyanathan

May 16, 2008, 2:11:11 AM5/16/08
to wildflowerindia, indiantreepix
Dear All

The lone baobab tree near Mulund Station in mumbai has been flowering for the past 2-3 weeks ......i observe it daily......with white open flowers strewn in the morning in the roads and also a few hanging on to dear life in the stalks but in all these years.....never seen it fruit..

Regards

Ravi

--
///\\
(@ @)

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 16, 2008, 4:00:48 AM5/16/08
to Ravi Vaidyanathan, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix
I had mentioned sometime back on this site thaaat in Indore in Residency compound there are a number of baobab trees. If any member is from Indore will he let us know whether it has flowered there also.
Best wishes,
akbhatt
~~~~~~~~~~~

Shivakumar N.

May 16, 2008, 4:34:46 AM5/16/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ravi Vaidyanathan, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix
Dear all
With the help of Mr. Garg and all others Tree lovers
it is prudent, like Ravi suggests, to keep a track of all other Baobab
trees in the country if they are in Bloom.
The flowers being nocturnal-active bloom at dusk and hang
on till early in the morning. Some linger on until NOON as well.
Most will fall off.
It would also be interesting to find if any
pollinating vectors like large hawk moths, bats and any other
creatures help in cross-pollination.
The flowers are usually on naked branches in the leafless conditions.
But some may also spring forth fresh leaves.
Cheers.
N.Shiva Kumar
NOIDA - 201 301(National Capital Region)

malu

May 16, 2008, 8:52:09 AM5/16/08
to indiantreepix
can someone please post the photographs. somehow this thread does not
have the photos.
i am really curious to see how a baobab tree looks like..have read
about it in many books and poems.

Thanks.

On May 16, 1:34 pm, "Shivakumar N." <shiva.n.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Dear all *
> *With the help of Mr. Garg and all others Tree lovers *
> *it is prudent, like Ravi suggests, to keep a track of all other Baobab*
> *trees in the country if they are in Bloom.*
> *The flowers being nocturnal-active bloom at dusk and hang*
> *on till early in the morning. Some linger on until NOON as well.*
> *Most will fall off. *
> *It would also be interesting to find if any*
> *pollinating vectors like large hawk moths, bats and any other*
> *creatures help in cross-pollination.*
> *The flowers are usually on naked branches in the leafless conditions.*
> *But some may also spring forth fresh leaves.*
> *Cheers.*
> *N.Shiva Kumar
> NOIDA - 201 301(National Capital Region)
> *
> On 16/05/2008, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I had mentioned sometime back on this site thaaat in Indore in Residency
> > compound there are a number of baobab trees. If any member is from Indore
> > will he let us know whether it has flowered there also.
> > Best wishes,
> > akbhatt
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> > On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Ravi Vaidyanathan <
> > ravi.vaidyanat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear All
>
> >> The lone baobab tree near Mulund Station in mumbai has been flowering for
> >> the past 2-3 weeks ......i observe it daily......with white open flowers
> >> strewn in the morning in the roads and also a few hanging on to dear life in
> >> the stalks but in all these years.....never seen it fruit..
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> Ravi
>
> >> --
> >> ///\\
> >> (@ @)
> >> +---------------oOO----(_)---Ooo---------------+
> >> Ravi Vaidyanathan
> >> Mobile : 98673 67801
> >>http://chakramhikers.com
> >> email : ravi.vaidyanat...@gmail.com

Ravi Vaidyanathan

May 16, 2008, 10:14:22 AM5/16/08
to malu, indiantreepix

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2008, 4:43:21 AM5/21/08
to Ravi Vaidyanathan, malu, indiantreepix

mal...@gmail.com

May 21, 2008, 5:19:47 AM5/21/08
to J.M. Garg, Ravi Vaidyanathan, indiantreepix
Thank you to both Ravi and Garg Ji for the links and photos. I guess there is a giant one inside Lalbagh at Blore.
The leaves are not very clear from the photos posted in the discussions. I will be visiting the one at Lal Bagh pretty soon, will post pictures and confirm whether I am right..
I have never seen it flowering so it must be a male one I guess..Its a perfect one to climb and has enough craters where you can nestle easily and go off to sleep. Always reminded me of the tree house that Phantom had..

Thanks once again..
malyada..