Lavandula

Satish Phadke

Oct 2, 2009, 10:12:17 AM10/2/09
to indiantreepix Indian
This is a common flower from Lamiaceae family seen on Vetal Tekdi and many areas around Pune.
I am believing it to be Lavendula bipinnata. Kindly confirm.......
Satish Phadke

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Lavandula2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2009, 12:44:06 AM10/27/09
to indiantreepix, satish phadke

Lavandula2.jpg

Nayan Singh

Oct 27, 2009, 12:52:03 AM10/27/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
yes it is Lavandula bipinnata (Roth)
Nayan
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Oct 27, 2009, 11:18:42 AM10/27/09
to Nayan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thanks Nayan ji
I was almost sure of the ID. I was wondering how come nobody is ready give a comment on this. Just a curiosity ...Is,t it there in SGNP Mumbai? The flowers appear white from distance but on close viewing and in books they are shown more bluish.
Waiting for some more comments
Satish Phadke

Swagat

Oct 27, 2009, 11:31:43 AM10/27/09
to Satish Phadke, Nayan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear all,

'Lavandula bipinnata' is called 'Ghodeghuie' 'घोडेघुई' / Asmani Galgoto' 'अस्‍मानी गलगोटो' / Jungali Lavender' जंगली लव्‍हेंडर' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568