tiny orchids..

Mihir Sule

Aug 4, 2008, 11:38:17 AM8/4/08
to india treepix
Hi,
  Can u pls id these tiny orchids snapped in Anshi. The flowers must be about 5mm across. this pic shows a bunch of them.
Regards,
Mihir Sule.

Tiny orchid1_08.jpg

Mihir Sule

J.M. Garg

Aug 4, 2008, 12:08:21 PM8/4/08
to Mihir Sule, india treepix
It appears like Acampe praemorsa. Pl. see the link & details from Indiantreepix Database:
Acampe praemorsa Orchidaceae Banded Button Orchid  at Shahapur [near Bombay] on 28/6/08. Acampe Orchid More Orchids - indiantreepix | Google Groups
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Neil Soares

Aug 4, 2008, 12:59:11 PM8/4/08
to J.M. Garg, Mihir Sule, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mihir and Mr. Garg,
Actually there are 2 types of orchids seen in the photograph- the type on the left are an Oberonia spp. while the one on the right is the Banded Button Orchid [Acampe praemorsa].
Regards,
Neil.

> It appears like *Acampe praemorsa*. Pl. see the link &
> details from

> Indiantreepix Database: *Acampe praemorsa*
> *Orchidaceae* *Banded
> Button Orchid * at Shahapur [near Bombay] on 28/6/08.
> Acampe
> Orchid<http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Acampe%20Orchid.html>

> More
> Orchids - indiantreepix | Google

> Groups<http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/3c2e3eb87479ec13>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Mihir Sule
> <mihi...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > Can u pls id these tiny orchids snapped in Anshi.
> The flowers must be
> > about 5mm across. this pic shows a bunch of them.
> > Regards,
> > Mihir Sule.
> >

> > ------------------------------

> > Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or
> your...@rocketmail.com. Click
> >

> here.<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_dbid_4/*http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address>

J.M. Garg

Aug 5, 2008, 9:41:33 AM8/5/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, Mihir Sule, indian...@googlegroups.com
In the meantime more inf. has come up from Mihir ji (as give below) & as per doubt expressed by Shrikant ji,  Neil ji feel now that it looks like Smithsonia straminea.
From Mihir ji: " I think these orchids may be from the same genus, but Acampe praemorsa is a large orchid. This whole plant fit in my palm. The flowers were 5 mm across, the whole cluster hardly 2-3 cm across. "
From Shrikant Ingalhalikar ji: "About the tiny orchids may I request you to have a fresh  look at the picture? The leaves are only 2, emerging from the base and they are not longer than 5 cms. They are also not folded. The flowers are smaller than 5 mms. Your (Neil ji's) inquisitive look will boost my confidence in the identification of this orchid I have done in my book."
From Neil ji: "Thanks Mr. Ingalhalikar. They look like Smithsonia straminea."

J.M. Garg

Aug 28, 2009, 8:47:23 PM8/28/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, Mihir Sule, indian...@googlegroups.com
Reply from Pankaj ji:
"yes this is Smithsonia straminea and there is Oberonia sp in
between...."
2008/8/5 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Navendu

Aug 29, 2009, 10:39:00 AM8/29/09
to indiantreepix
This is Loxoma maculosa or Smithsonia maculosa and not L. straminea

navendu

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2009, 1:18:50 PM9/11/09
to indiantreepix, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navendu page, Mihir Sule

Forwarding again for final Id confirmation pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

"Thanks Mr. Ingalhalikar. They look like Smithsonia straminea.

          Regards,
           Neil."

"yes this is Smithsonia straminea and there is Oberonia sp in

between...." from Pankaj ji

"This is Loxoma maculosa or Smithsonia maculosa and not L. straminea" from Navendu ji.

Tiny orchid1_08.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2009, 9:18:27 PM9/11/09
to indiantreepix, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navendu page, Mihir Sule
Reply from Navendu ji:
"My mistake, I apologize. This is L.straminea and not maculosa. I must have got confused
navendu"

santhosh kumar es

Sep 11, 2009, 11:25:38 PM9/11/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navendu page, Mihir Sule
This is Smithsonia straminea Saldanha

Santhosh

2009/9/11 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Avinash dada

Sep 12, 2009, 7:49:45 AM9/12/09
to santhosh kumar es, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, navendu page, Mihir Sule
It seems to be Gastrochillus dalzellii