Re: [WildFlowerIndia] Bombax with yellow flowers

Neil Soares

Mar 6, 2008, 12:44:35 PM3/6/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Pravin,
Sending you a similar picture of a Bombax ceiba
with yellow flowers taken on Tulsi road in the
Borivali National Park in Feb 2007.
A pink flowering variety which has longer petals
and pods called Bombax insigne also exists.
Regards,
Neil.

--- Pravin Kawale <kawale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Today I found this Bombax cieba
> tree with yellow colour flowers
> at Akshi Alibag Maharashtra
> Is it common ?
> Thanks
> --
> Pravin

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Bombax with yellow flowers.jpg

Vasant Barve

Mar 6, 2008, 10:35:17 PM3/6/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr Phadke,

1) We have a yellow flower tree in Katraj Ghat known as Divyachi Phule (Lamp Flower) is it same as this?
That fowers this month only. Gives deep vilet fruits of brinjal (Vange) type and has cotton.

2)Pink silk cotton is in large numbers in Delhi

3) Singapur silk cotton tree has small lemon colored flowers, grows very fast and the bark remains green. The cotton can be easily harvested as potd dont open immidiately

Dr Vasant barve

On 3/6/08, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Pravin,
Sending you a similar picture of a Bombax ceiba
with yellow flowers taken on Tulsi road in the
Borivali National Park in Feb 2007.
A pink flowering variety which has longer petals
and pods called Bombax insigne also exists.
Regards,
Neil.

--- Pravin Kawale <kawale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Today I found this Bombax cieba
> tree with yellow colour flowers
> at Akshi Alibag Maharashtra
> Is it common ?
> Thanks
> --
> Pravin

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Home Improvement

on Yahoo! Groups

Find tips & tricks

for doing it yourself.

.

__,_._,___

--
Dr. Vasant Barve
# 9 Sneha Nagar 1st Cross, Amrutahalli, Main

Gopakumar S

Mar 7, 2008, 5:17:58 AM3/7/08
to Neil Soares, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hai Neil,
As far as I know it, B cieba has dark crimson flowers while Bombax insigne has yellow/cream flowers.
Gopan

On 3/6/08, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Kerala Agricultural University (www.kau.edu)
Thrissur, Kerala, India
Ph: 0487-2370050,2371018 (Extn-219)
Fax: 0487-2371040, 9349901083 (Mob)
www.foralkau.org

Neil Soares

Mar 7, 2008, 5:55:22 AM3/7/08
to Gopakumar S, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Gopan,
'Lutea' is the term generally used to describe the
yellow-flowering variety of a species, but in Bombax
insigne the flowers can be either white, pink or even
scarlet.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

> --
> S. GOPAKUMAR
> Assistant Professor (SS)
> Dept. of Forest Management & Utilisation
> College of Forestry

> Kerala Agricultural University (www.kau.edu)
> Thrissur, Kerala, India
> Ph: 0487-2370050,2371018 (Extn-219)
> Fax: 0487-2371040, 9349901083 (Mob)
> www.foralkau.org

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 7, 2008, 6:10:38 AM3/7/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

oikos

Mar 8, 2008, 5:17:24 AM3/8/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix

B. ceiba has both colours - red / pinkish red and yellow. Yellow is not very common, only few trees can be seen at select localities. We have spotted one near Andhra lake. ref to photo by Pravin. - Sawar or yellow silk cotton tree.
B. insigne has yellow, cream, red & pink flowers as seen in different localities. But it flowers before B ceiba somewhere in December - Jan and is uncommon. Photo sent by Neil is B. insigne ie Dev sawar.
Cochlospermum religiosum (In Marathi Sonsawar or Ganer) is different than both above. Sent by Satish Phadke.

Neil Soares

Mar 8, 2008, 6:15:17 PM3/8/08
to oikos, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ketaki and Manasi. Much appreciated.
Regards,
Neil Soares.