Indian coral tree - disease threat

raghu ananth

Apr 11, 2008, 11:35:51 PM4/11/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Going by what the villagers in Mysore district have to say, it appears most of the bright red blooms of the Indian coral tree can not be seen fully as these trees are dying out because of an insect born disease.  We witnessed several such trees in different villages and all of them were infected.  Wonder whether the same malaise exists in other parts of the country as well.

Local Name : Haaluvaana/Paalivaana,

Got this this link, Scientists had suggested earlier to burn such trees to avoid disease spread.

Date: 05 Apr 08
Chandagal, Mysore district

Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it.
DSC_6219.jpg
DSC_6088.jpg
DSC_6090.jpg
DSC_6221.jpg

Barry Stock

Apr 11, 2008, 11:59:55 PM4/11/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Most of the Erythrina variegata here have been destroyed by this or a similar pest (within the last 2-3 years), a gall which causes the foliage to be terribly deformed and eventually kills the tree. The only treatment which works well is treatment with Bayer Merit systemic on an almost continuous basis, which is prohibitively expensive, so most of the trees are gone. I am sorry that it has found its way there.

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

<DSC_6219.jpg><DSC_6088.jpg><DSC_6090.jpg><DSC_6221.jpg>

Isaac Kehimkar

Apr 12, 2008, 3:13:29 AM4/12/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu and Barry,
I have one Variegated Indian Coral (Erythrina variegata) in  my garden.  Its been battling this persistent Gall disease for last six years, and  this year it failed to bloom, but now has new  robust shoots. I cut it back once in a year to encourage new growth. I do not use any pesticides in my garden which I have planted for the butterflies.

This disease is quite widespread in Mumbai (Bombay) and around the city.
Cheers!
Isaac

raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Click here.

oikos

Apr 12, 2008, 4:36:36 AM4/12/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Same is the case with many Pangaras in Pune. We have seen it every year, they get disease attacks. After observing them & our native coral trees, (we have seen both in same area) we found that the one which are non-native or cultivated get this problem, native ones are perfect, healthy & in full bloom. Interesting but true. Do give us your observations.

vinod kumar gupta

Apr 12, 2008, 8:00:32 AM4/12/08
to Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Didnt see any such diseased indian coral trees in delhi,but will try to look more intently

Vinod

Date: 05 Apr 08
Chandagal, Mysore district

Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it.

<DSC_6219.jpg><DSC_6088.jpg><DSC_6090.jpg><DSC_6221.jpg>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Gopakumar S

Apr 12, 2008, 8:43:19 AM4/12/08
to vinod kumar gupta, Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I have noticed this disease some twoo years back in Wayanad district of Kerala, which is lying very close to Mysore. There this Erythrina  (i dont know the species) is used to train pepper vines. Heavy galls kills the tree and with it come down the vines too.

I remember reading an article on this problem in one issue of Current Science.
Gopan

College of Forestry
Kerala Agricultural University (www.kau.edu)
Thrissur, Kerala, India
Ph: 0487-2370050,2371018 (Extn-219)
Fax: 0487-2371040, 9447890860 (Mob)
www.foralkau.org

satish phadke

Apr 12, 2008, 10:04:02 AM4/12/08
to Gopakumar S, vinod kumar gupta, Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
The problem is there in Pune also. I have seen the diseased trees for last 4-5 years in city.Last year and current year the problem appears to be less at least on some of the trees and some flowering is being observed.It is not there with stricta or Booch Pangara.
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

Kenneth Greby

Apr 12, 2008, 11:48:57 PM4/12/08
to Gopakumar S, vinod kumar gupta, Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
 Greetings all--

 Here's a link to what may be the same pest (NOT a disease) of Erythrina that is rather recent, devastating to coral trees in South Florida, USA.

 http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/ento/gallwasp.html

 (Here in South Florida, we are also cursed with a native twig borer, Terastia meticulosalis, that is also very problematic. Between these two pests, Erythrina spp. are almost impossible to grow successfully).

Vasant Barve

Apr 13, 2008, 1:22:46 AM4/13/08
to satish phadke, Gopakumar S, vinod kumar gupta, Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr Satish Phadke,

Pune has a rare white flower coral tree on Apte road. Kindly see if we can keep the seeds in some seed bank to preserve.

--
Dr. Vasant Barve
# 9 Sneha Nagar 1st Cross, Amrutahalli, Main

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2008, 3:16:56 AM4/13/08
to Vasant Barve, satish phadke, Gopakumar S, vinod kumar gupta, Barry Stock, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is an earlier link with a picture of White variety from Kolkata:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/221015138300bc83

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Vasant Barve

Apr 13, 2008, 3:45:58 AM4/13/08
to oikos, indian...@googlegroups.com
by native do you mean Jungle variety with small flowers & pods with lots of thorns in Katraj Ghat etc?

oikos

Apr 15, 2008, 1:13:59 AM4/15/08