efloraofindia:''For Id 17092011MR2’’ ?fern Pune

Skip to the first unread message

Madhuri Raut

17 Sept 2011, 2:30:26 am17/09/11
to efloraofindia

Request for identification

Date/Time-Sep 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- plant

Height/Length- about 2 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-green

Flowers & fruits not seen

Regards

Bhagyashri

070920111653.jpg

ajinkya gadave

17 Sept 2011, 8:59:33 am17/09/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
This is not a fern
Polyscias fruticosa

Family: Araliaceae
Ming Aralia

Madhuri Raut

17 Sept 2011, 9:52:36 am17/09/11
to ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
Thank you Ajinkyaji . I was surprised to find that this plant has a lot of medicinal value besides being a house plant

Uses

Besides being a house plant…

In Asian countries, the leaves of the Polyscias fruticosa are used as a tonic, anti-inflammatory, antitoxin, and an antibacterial ointment. They have also been proven to be an aid in digestion. The root is also used as a diuretic, febrifuge, anti-dysentery, and is employed for neuralgia and rheumatic pains. Alongside with medicinal purposes, Polyscias fruticosa is also used as an ornamental plant and a spice.

A recent study on this plant by Vo Duy Hunan and colleagues, has afforded two known oleanolic acid saponins from the leaves, and polyacetylenes from the roots. This shows antibacterial and antifungal activities. The volatile leaf oils were also studied and isolated to find eight new oleanolic acid saponins, named polysciosides A to H, and three known saponins.

Regards

Bhagyashri

Dr Pankaj Kumar

17 Sept 2011, 12:24:39 pm17/09/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Araliaceae, Polyscias for sure...
Pankaj

On Sep 17, 9:52 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Ajinkyaji . I was surprised to find that this plant has a lot of
> medicinal value besides being a house plant
> Uses
>
> Besides being a house plant…
>
> In Asian countries, the leaves of the Polyscias fruticosa are used as a
> tonic, anti-inflammatory, antitoxin, and an antibacterial ointment. They
> have also been proven to be an aid in digestion. The root is also used as a
> diuretic, febrifuge, anti-dysentery, and is employed for neuralgia and
> rheumatic pains. Alongside with medicinal purposes, Polyscias fruticosa is
> also used as an ornamental plant and a spice.
>
> A recent study on this plant by Vo Duy Hunan and colleagues, has afforded
> two known oleanolic acid saponins from the leaves, and polyacetylenes from
> the roots. This shows antibacterial and antifungal activities. The volatile
> leaf oils were also studied and isolated to find eight new oleanolic acid
> saponins, named polysciosides A to H, and three known saponins.
>
> Regards
>
> Bhagyashri
>
> 2011/9/17 ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>
>

> > *
> > This is not a fern
> > Polyscias fruticosa*
> > Family: Araliaceae
> > Ming Aralia

Balkar Arya

20 Sept 2011, 10:10:36 am20/09/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Mine pics from A nursery in Karnal Haryana

2011/9/17 Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com>

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Polyscias fruticosa (1).JPG
Polyscias fruticosa (2).JPG

Madhuri Raut

20 Sept 2011, 10:31:51 am20/09/11
to Balkar Arya, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
@Balkarji
Very fresh and green
Regards
Bhagyashri