Taken at SGNP, Mumbai

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 4:06:48 AM1/25/11
to efloraofindia
This picture was taken at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Yeoor.

DSCF3780.JPG
DSCF3781.JPG

Rashida Atthar

Jan 25, 2011, 4:38:22 AM1/25/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
These are Eranthemum roseum, blooming right now in the forest of Mumbai. Sheetal ji , Did you by any chance get any smell from these flowers?

regards,
Rashida.

Smita Raskar

Jan 25, 2011, 4:48:13 AM1/25/11
to Rashida Atthar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Beautiful blue flowers..... i love it...Eranthemum roseum....Acanthaceae
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 5:20:39 AM1/25/11
to Smita Raskar, Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia
Thanks rashidaji ans Smitaji. I just clicked the picture, dint notice the smell, will try to visit again, check and let you know.

Sheetal Pachpande
Research student,
B. N. Bandodkar college of Science,
Thane West.

Rashida Atthar

Jan 25, 2011, 5:51:54 AM1/25/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Ok, thanks for your efforts! Posting my pics of the same plant taken at the south end of the forest this month.The red coloured  are the older ones.
regards,
Rashida.
Eranthemum roseum.JPG
Eranthemum roseum-older flowers.JPG

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 7:15:45 AM1/25/11
to Rashida Atthar, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Thanks Rashidaji,

good pictures and nice information.

Nudrat

Jan 28, 2011, 1:27:16 PM1/28/11
to efloraofindia
Sheetal these flowers dont have smell.

On Jan 25, 5:15 pm, sheetal chaudhari <sheetalbot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Rashidaji,
>
> good pictures and nice information.
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ok, thanks for your efforts! Posting my pics of the same plant taken at the
> > south end of the forest this month.The red coloured  are the older ones.
> > regards,
> > Rashida.
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM, sheetal chaudhari <
> > sheetalbot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks rashidaji ans Smitaji. I just clicked the picture, dint notice the
> >> smell, will try to visit again, check and let you know.
>
> >> Sheetal Pachpande
> >> Research student,
> >> B. N. Bandodkar college of Science,
> >> Thane West.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 28, 2011, 7:59:16 PM1/28/11
to efloraofindia
A strong smell is emitted from the inflorescence (bracts) and not from
flowers. Regards, Shrikant

On Jan 25, 2:06 pm, sheetal chaudhari <sheetalbot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This picture was taken at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Yeoor.
>
>  DSCF3780.JPG
> 1730KViewDownload
>
>  DSCF3781.JPG
> 1731KViewDownload

Rashida Atthar

Jan 30, 2011, 9:30:38 AM1/30/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Sheetal would like to update you with regards to my curiosity of  Eranthemum roseum smell- it so happened that last year  I had read in   floras and books I generally refer to that there is a strong smell emitting from flowers, bracts of Eranthemum. When I saw them a plenty at Aarey road, Mumbai, CEC land and elsewhere, I could  not get any smell from any part. I got all my friends  during nature trails to smell the same and they could not get any smell too. We tried  old and new flowers, bract, leaves but no smell. But there was one response on ITP saying that there is a smell. The plant that you saw most probably did  not have any strong smell too, otherwise you would have got it !! But do try the bracts as informed by Shrikant ji and verify if poossible.

I must also share the experience I had yesterday when I had been one of the resource persons for the trails at CEC (south end of the forest in Mumbai) wih children of VIIth and VIIth standards and adults, a group of 20 . Interestingly one of them could get smell from the dried flowers, one from fresh flower, but none from bracts ! So the research is open !

regards,
Rashida.