a variety of Akelei (Aquilegia )?

Skip to the first unread message

Na Bha

15 May 2011, 11:28:01 am15/05/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The leaves look like those of Akelei but the flower is very different.
Nalini
100_0656.JPG
100_0659.JPG

Katarina

16 May 2011, 3:03:15 am16/05/11
to efloraofindia
This is most probably a garden variety called: Aquilegia vulgaris var.
stellata "Nora Barlow"

Regards
Katarina

On 15 Maj, 17:28, "Na Bha" <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> The leaves look like those of Akelei but the flower is very different.
> Nalini
>
>  100_0656.JPG
> 44KVisaHämta
>
>  100_0659.JPG
> 87KVisaHämta

Na Bha

16 May 2011, 5:30:21 am16/05/11
to Katarina, efloraofindia
Thanks Katarina for your id-help.

On net I found some more interesting information, after knowing the exact
ID:
The frilly pink & white double aquilegia `Nora Barlow', which has become
popular recently, might suggest an equally frilly namesake. But not a bit of
it: Emma Nora Barlow (December 22, 1885 - December 1989) was a formidable
woman, who died at the age of 104. She was a granddaughter of Charles
Darwin, about whom she wrote a book in the time she could spare from raising
six children, gardening, looking after horses, bird-watching and running the
local Girl Guides.
Having studied genetics at Cambridge, Nora Barlow enjoyed hybridising plants
and, although she was probably not the originator of the unusual aquilegia
variety, she grew it in her garden (although her taste was generally for
plainer flowers) and gave some seeds to the nurseryman Alan Bloom who named
his commercial stock after her.
She also gave her house, The Orchard, to the University of Cambridge in
1962. New Hall College for women was founded on the land.
Aquilegia are clump-forming herbaceous perennials with long-stalked,
alternately divided basal leaves and erect, leafy stems bearing bell-shaped
flowers with conspicuous spurs, on branched stems.
'Nora Barlow' is an erect plant to 80cm, with divided, dark green leaves and
nodding, spur-less, double flowers 2 to 3cm in width, composed of many
narrow, dull deep pink and pale green petals. A Cottage Garden classic.
Aquilegia 'Nora Barlow' has been awarded the prestigious RHS Award of Garden
Merit (AGM). Source:
http://www.seedaholic.com/aquilegia-vulgaris-var-stellata-nora-barlow.html

Nalini