Species Id DKV150910-1

Skip to the first unread message

Dev Kumar

14 Sept 2010, 2:35:57 pm14/09/10
to indiantreepix
Sep 15 2010
Mhow, Dist Indore, Madhya Pradesh, PIN 453441

Please help me identify this wild creeper which is holding on to a
potted plant and can be seen during the rainy season.

Dev

DSC04479.JPG

Selvalakshmi Selvaraj

14 Sept 2010, 10:52:39 pm14/09/10
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix

Coccinea indica- Cucurbitaceae

--
Selvalakshmi S.
Doctoral Scholar,

Dev Kumar

15 Sept 2010, 12:12:03 am15/09/10
to Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, indiantreepix
Many thanks. Since it belongs to the same family as melons and cucumbers would it be edible?
- Dev

Dev Kumar

15 Sept 2010, 12:17:03 am15/09/10
to Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, indiantreepix
While doing a google search for this species I came across this interesting web site. Sending a link on the off chance that many members may not have seen this:

Muthu Karthick

15 Sept 2010, 1:41:11 am15/09/10
to Dev Kumar, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, indiantreepix
Unripe fruits of this cultivar Coccinia grandis (L.) Voigt is used as vegetable; and it is one of common veg-dish served in hotels of TN and also in homes. But the the wild variety is more bitter for consumption.
We ate the fruits in childhood days. So Dev Kumarji, C.grandis is edible.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Selvalakshmi Selvaraj

15 Sept 2010, 9:49:54 am15/09/10
to efloraofindia, Dev Kumar

Absolutely edible.

Parjanya guru

15 Sept 2010, 10:17:43 am15/09/10
to Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, efloraofindia, Dev Kumar
.... there is a belief in the coastal Karnataka regarding the consumption of the plant..
 ... they say, the person who eats the fruits of  Coccinia grandis  ("tonDi"  is the vernacular name), looses his intelligence..
......I doubt.
:)

  Parjanya Guru
 +919738723392

Yazdy Palia

15 Sept 2010, 1:39:38 pm15/09/10
to Parjanya guru, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, efloraofindia, Dev Kumar
In that case my friend, I must have lost my entire intelligence. I
enjoy eating it regularly. We have one vine which gives fruits
throughout the year. In common parlance I think it is called gherkin.
A lot of it is exported after pickling in brine solution.
Regards
Yazdy.

Parjanya guru

16 Sept 2010, 12:54:32 am16/09/10
to Yazdy Palia, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, efloraofindia, Dev Kumar

.. Dear Yazdy...
.. I could recall what exactly meant by "loosing the intelligence" in tribals..
...Have you experienced any problem in speech after eating the raw fruits.?????
... There will be a thin cuticle like layer formation on the toungue with the eating of raw fruits, which may trouble the speech some times. As earliredr day's learning processes were of the type"Listen and spell it"... may be a belief of "loosing the intelligence "originated..

...... I guess so.
:)

--

  Parjanya Guru
 +919738723392

Yazdy Palia

16 Sept 2010, 12:59:35 am16/09/10
to Parjanya guru, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, efloraofindia, Dev Kumar
Dear Parjanya Guru,
I have not experienced any problem with my speech but yes there is a
thin layer forming on the tongue when you eat the tender fruit. It
becomes sticky.
Regards
Yazdy.