Crateva adansonii? Fwd: [Indiantreepix] Flowering tree observation in SGNP, Mumbai

J.M. Garg

Feb 28, 2008, 10:03:10 PM2/28/08
to indiantreepix
Lovely pictures, Kiran ji.
Does anybody wants to say anything?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kiran Srivastava <kir...@vsnl.net>
Date: Feb 29, 2008 7:54 AM
Subject: RE: [Indiantreepix] Flowering tree observation in SGNP, Mumbai
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>

As requested here are two photos of Crataeva nurvala which I observed flowering in December in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai.

Cheers,

Kiran

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net

Feb 29, 2008, 10:36:33 AM2/29/08
to wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kiran and Mr.Garg,
Crataeva nurvala [C.religosa] is an African species
that is not [naturally] found in India.
The common species of Sacred Barna [locally called
Vaivarun] found in and around Bombay [including the
one photographed by Kiran at Kanheri] is C.tapia. It
is a small tree with a much-branched head and
greenish-white flowers.
The other species of Crataeva found in Maharashtra
is C.adansonii [C.tapia ssp.odora] which is common
around Savantwadi and is seen mainly on riverbeds and
ocassionally on hilly slopes.It is a larger tree [upto
10mts tall] with a dense crown and white flowers.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

glaucippe<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebomoia_glaucippe>
> *) is a frequent visitor to this plant.
>

> On 2/21/08, *Kiran Srivastava* <kir...@vsnl.net>

> wrote:
>
> In
> Sanjay Gandhi National Park we have observed some

> flowering of *Bombax
> ceiba, *Red silk Cotton Tree in February. The Ghost
> Tree, *Sterculia urens *had

> fruits in January though we have yet to see its
> flowers. The yellow & white

> flowers of *Crataeva nurvala *Tree* were observed
> *in* December.*
>
> *Cheers,*
>
> *Kiran Srivastava*
>
> *Mumbai*
>
> *kir...@vsnl.net*

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
> For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures
> etc., visit

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

J.M. Garg

Feb 29, 2008, 7:43:24 PM2/29/08
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Neil ji for the help. That means Kiran ji pictures from Sanjay Gandhi National parks are those of C.tapia.