Fern from Melghat for ID

vishal wankhade

Jul 22, 2009, 10:49:24 AM7/22/09
to Indiantreepix

Here is a fern spp. most commonly found in Melghat Tiger Reserve, Central India. Please help in ID.

Regards
Vishal Wankhade

chikhaldara july-2009 123.jpg

Dr.Gautam Joglekar

Jul 22, 2009, 1:04:21 PM7/22/09
to vishal wankhade, Indiantreepix
Hi  Mr. Vishal,

That's an Adiantum sp. or the Maiden Hair Fern.

cheers,

Dr. Gautam Joglekar.

Amit Ray

Jul 22, 2009, 8:49:16 PM7/22/09
to vishal wankhade, Indiantreepix
Dear Vishal
Your attachment is is too big (2351k), You should try to keep it within 200k. Regards.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM, vishal wankhade <vishalw...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Amit Ray
25B Central Road
Kolkata 700032
India
Phone: +91 033 24136034
Mobile: +919433715107
Email:
1) amitra...@gmail.com
2) amitra...@yahoo.co.in
3) amitra...@hotmail.com
4) amitra...@myway.com
5) ami...@dellmail.com
6) amitra...@lavabit.com
7) amitra...@aol.in
8) amitran...@rediffmail.com

J.M. Garg

Oct 10, 2009, 9:48:08 AM10/10/09
to indiantreepix, Vijayadas D, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

"Hi  Mr. Vishal,
That's an Adiantum sp. or the Maiden Hair Fern.
cheers,
Dr. Gautam Joglekar."

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

chikhaldara july-2009 123.jpg

Vijayadas D

Oct 10, 2009, 10:01:14 AM10/10/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
Dear,

It is Adiantum lunulatum.
--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2009, 10:15:32 AM10/10/09
to Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
Vijayadas ji, by now we have come across A. caudatum and A. lunulatum
Any simple visual difference among these two ?

Regards.

Satish Phadke

Oct 10, 2009, 1:19:29 PM10/10/09
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
I am also eager to know the difference.

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 10, 2009, 2:44:14 PM10/10/09
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
Any one having Bedome's Handbook of Indian Ferns?, or Ferns of South India?. I will check  when I reach back Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 10, 2009, 3:02:06 PM10/10/09
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
What I can gather from information on net is that sori bearing part of leaflet is forming a curve (semilunar) almost reaching the base on inner margin. In A. caudatum basal two sides almost triangular, and fertile upper margin straight, more or less horizontal.

In that sense our plant is closer to A. lunulatum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018
Phone: 01125518297; Mobile: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayadas D

Oct 11, 2009, 12:20:00 AM10/11/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dr.Gautam Joglekar, vishal wankhade
Dear all,

Here I am trying to picture out the difference between A.lunulatum and A.caudatum

This is not a technical discription.

1. A.lunulatum- entirely glabrous, pinnae pale green rarely dark green, pinnules are fan shape or lunar shape or in crescent form and fold down with sori (linear),stipe glabrous long and dark black

2. A.caudatum - hairy, pinnae green ,hairs pale brown and giving a pale brownish color to whole, pinnules not crescent but almost straight  fold down with sori but length is very short compared to A.lunulatum, stipe is hairy brownish due to hair color short as compared to lamina.
   If the stipe is glabrous ,A.zollingeri but no tail as in A.caudatum