Flowers of Sahyadri- A wonderful book for flower identification

J.M. Garg

Aug 9, 2008, 2:37:56 PM8/9/08
to indiantreepix
These two books are with me for past 15 days. I have gone through these books almost everyday for references & identification. These contain 1700 flowers from Sahydri's & I almost found most of the species (more than 80%) in the book which we discussed on Indiantreepix in the past 15 days. And what a useful tool 'Identick' (on CD) containing database is! I have never known/ seen such a wonderful tool. If we know a little bit about the family of the plant etc., it's really quick to find out the species. I think it is a unique book & possibly can hardly be matched by any other book in near future, for flower Identification. We certainly expect more flowers to be added by Shrikant ji, who is also a member of this forum, in near future. His book has made the Flower-watching a real treat for a layman. Every member should definitely possess these books.

Here are further details of earlier review on this forum "Shrikant Ingalhalikar's Flowers of Sahyadri, 2001, (Price Rs. 395), Corolla Publications, Pune, (Ph. 020- 24351388) is printed by Pragati Offset, Hyderabad. The flowers are restricted to the Western Ghats, specifically to Maharashtra. It can also be carried in your daypack. Concluding Part of Shrikant Ingalhalikar's  Further Flowers of Sahyadri, 2007- Field guide to additional 1200 flowers of North- Western Ghats of India is priced at Rs. 800. Though the field guide is titled as Flowers of Sahyadri, it is useful for most plants of all the regions. Besides it also covers trees found in urban habitats. May be it is the first ever such publication.  Has breath- taking photographs!  Every species described has beautiful photograph. The design, description, photos and the layout are par excellence!"
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg