Tree for ID-1

Skip to the first unread message

Shantanu Bhattacharya

28 Aug 2010, 5:04:55 pm28/08/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
what tree is this?
its common in my locality in Kolkata.
posting the pics of both flowers and fruits.
 pinkish and white varieties of flowers are also seen.
a white latex is exuded when a twig is broken.

regards
Shantanu : )
100_0937.jpg
100_0936.jpg
100_0938.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

28 Aug 2010, 5:27:04 pm28/08/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Thevetia peruviana
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

28 Aug 2010, 8:09:14 pm28/08/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Thevetia peruviana in Bengali we call it KOLKE FUL
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Kenneth Greby

28 Aug 2010, 9:08:24 pm28/08/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
 Like oleander (Nerium), all parts, especially the seeds, are toxic as well. Handle with care.

Regards--
Ken.

28 Aug 2010, 10:45:48 pm28/08/10
to Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Its hallucinogenic effects also makes it widely known as cerebra thevetia (yellow oleander).

regards,

rakesh

mani nair

28 Aug 2010, 10:54:12 pm28/08/10
to Rakesh Biswas, Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Planted near temples in Kerala.  beautiful flower.
Thanks for sharing
Mani.

ajinkya gadave

29 Aug 2010, 12:40:41 am29/08/10
to mani nair, Rakesh Biswas, Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
बिट्टी ( bitti ) in marathi

Gurcharan Singh

29 Aug 2010, 12:57:12 am29/08/10
to ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Rakesh Biswas, Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Here are some others

Sans: Ashvaghna, Divyapushpa, Haripriya, Ashvamaraka, Ashvantaka, Shatakunda
Hindi: Pile kaner, Zard kunel, Kulkephul
Beng: Koklaphul, Haldi karubi, China karab
Mar: Pilvalakenhera
Guj: Pila-kanera
Tel: Pachaganeru
Tam: Pachaiyalari, Tiruvachippu, Manjataleri
Kan: Kadukasi, Kanogalu
Mal: Manja areli, Pachcha areli
Oryia: Konyar phul

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Shantanu Bhattacharya

29 Aug 2010, 3:44:30 am29/08/10
to Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Rakesh Biswas, Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia

Yes, Tanay...we call it 'Kolkey phool' in Bengali. (phool is the Bengali term for flower).

thanks a lot to all of you for the ID and the related informations about the species.
Would post more pics of other varieties of this tree soon.

Although this tree is very toxic, many birds visit the tree near my house regularly to feed on the nectar of the flowers, just like this Purple sunbird.

one question has come to my mind regarding this tree....why is the species name  peruviana?
is it an exotic  species from Peru?

have a nice time.
Shantanu : )
sunbird.jpg
sunbird2.jpg

Rakesh Biswas

29 Aug 2010, 3:56:31 am29/08/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Thanks Shantanu,

This reminds me of a previous discussion here on types of plants poisonous to humans but non toxic to birds. I am forgetting if there is a name for this phenomenon. I am unable to trace the thread from the archive now.

Would be great if someone throws more light on it.

regards,

rakesh

Kenneth Greby

29 Aug 2010, 4:20:13 am29/08/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Rakesh Biswas, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
 Thevetia peruviana is native to Mexico and Central America. It's range doesn't extend to Peru, however.

Regards--
Ken.