Kadamba species? For ID - 160708MG1

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2008, 2:37:49 AM7/16/08
to indiantreepix
Hi,

Here are some Kadamba photos taken at Vrindaban on 12th and 13th July 2008. It would be great if someone can identify the bird as well shown in one of the photos. This tree flowers from late March till the rains start. It has a wonderful fragrance and can be smelt from a long distance when in full bloom.
This tree looks different than the ones posted earlier on the group. Here are the earlier links:

http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/469904cafabfb221?hl=en
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1e3a89429cbd8745

Can someone confirm whether these are two different species, they are two different tress for sure.

thanks,
malyada
kadamba_leaves.jpg
kadamba_leaves_birds.jpg
seeds_leaves.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2008, 2:42:01 AM7/16/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Hi, Malyada ji,
Bird appears to be Asian Koel (Female), while the tree particulars are given below:
Mitragyna parviflora (syn. Stephegyne parvifolia) Rubiaceae Kaim/ Kadamb/ Kallam/ Phaldu/ Mundi    Trees of Delhi- Flowers mid May or June, continuing into the rains. EPOW Ecology Picture of the Week --  Kalam: An Old-Growth Tree of India Kaim/ Kadamb/ Kallam/Phaldu/ Mundi (Mitragyna parviflora) - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://sliceoftheday.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/kaim-mitragyna-parvifolia/

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Tejal V.

Jul 16, 2008, 2:46:52 AM7/16/08
to indiantreepix
Hi Malyada,

That is Female Asian Koel on the tree. check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Koel.

-Tejal

<<<<<<<<<<<<
Nurturing Grounds
art . ideas . actions
9 8 3 3 7 0 7 5  9 8

Neil Soares

Jul 16, 2008, 4:24:27 AM7/16/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mr.Garg,
There appears to be some confusion. Malyada has shown photographs of Neolamarkia cadamba [Anthocephalus cadamba] locally called Kadamb, while you are talking about Mitragyna parviflora [a different tree] which is called Kalamb or Lagu Kadamb.
Regards,
Neil.

> Bird appears to be Asian Koel (Female), while the tree
> particulars are given
> below:

> *Mitragyna parviflora (syn. Stephegyne parvifolia)*
> *Rubiaceae* *Kaim/
> Kadamb/ Kallam/ Phaldu/ Mundi * Trees of Delhi- Flowers

> mid May or June,
> continuing into the rains. EPOW Ecology Picture of the Week
> -- Kalam: An
> Old-Growth Tree of

> India<http://taos-telecommunity.org/epow/EPOW-Archive/archive_2005/EPOW-050530.htm>

> Kaim/
> Kadamb/ Kallam/Phaldu/ Mundi (Mitragyna parviflora) -
> indiantreepix | Google

> Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/29e4aff6009f43b9>

> http://sliceoftheday.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/kaim-mitragyna-parvifolia/
>

> On 7/16/08, mal...@gmail.com <mal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here are some Kadamba photos taken at Vrindaban on
> 12th and 13th July 2008.
> > It would be great if someone can identify the bird as
> well shown in one of
> > the photos. This tree flowers from late March till the
> rains start. It has a
> > wonderful fragrance and can be smelt from a long
> distance when in full
> > bloom.
> > This tree looks different than the ones posted earlier
> on the group. Here
> > are the earlier links:
> >

> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/469904cafabfb221?hl=en
> >

> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1e3a89429cbd8745
> >
> > Can someone confirm whether these are two different
> species, they are two
> > different tress for sure.
> >
> > thanks,
> > malyada
> >

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2008, 4:42:05 AM7/16/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Neil ji,
The links she has given is of Neolamarkia Cadama (these were earlier posted Indiantreepix links), while attachments (her photos) are those of Mitragyna parviflora.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 16, 2008, 5:08:23 AM7/16/08
to J.M. Garg, mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
I agree with Gargji. This looks like kaim. So is it finally settled
that Krishna Kadamba is Kaim and not the Kadamba of wet climate?
akbhatt

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:12 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Malyada ji,
> Bird appears to be Asian Koel (Female), while the tree particulars are given
> below:

> Mitragyna parviflora (syn. Stephegyne parvifolia)RubiaceaeKaim/ Kadamb/

> Kallam/ Phaldu/ Mundi Trees of Delhi- Flowers mid May or June, continuing

> into the rains.EPOW Ecology Picture of the Week -- Kalam: An Old-Growth
> Tree of IndiaKaim/ Kadamb/ Kallam/Phaldu/ Mundi (Mitragyna parviflora) -
> indiantreepix | Google
> Groupshttp://sliceoftheday.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/kaim-mitragyna-parvifolia/

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2008, 5:15:07 AM7/16/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I guess so. I will wait for someone to post his/her views in a couple of days, otherwise update the subject line with the appropriate identification. I have realised one thing though. The deeper you go about finding a particular species, the worse it gets on the internet.

Just a suggestion - can we get someone who is an authority on indian trees to confirm what we find. I was alarmed at the number of plants that have been wrongly identified. With everyone becoming an expert on the internet, its very tough to distinguish thoroughly researched information from someone's guess. We need expert confirmation to have a database which is factually correct.

thanks,
malyada

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 16, 2008, 6:36:24 AM7/16/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
In Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh Anthocephalus cadamba is known as Kadam. In Chhattisgarh, Mitragyna parviflora is known as Kalmi. In Niyamgiri hills of Orissa, Mitragyna parviflora is known as Kadam. Here are links of Anthocephalus as well as Mitragyna pictures

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=100641&subjectType=E&subjectId=3258

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98971&subjectType=E&subjectId=3258

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98980&subjectType=E&subjectId=3258

Mitragyna

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=102175&subjectType=E&subjectId=372243

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=102176&subjectType=E&subjectId=372243

Here sweet dish Kheer Kadam is popular. It looks like Anthocephalus flower.

In Kawardha district of Chhattisgarh, Anthocephalus trees are in abundance. The Historians associate it with true Champaran and claim that true Champaran is in this place.

Pankaj Oudhia

Neil Soares

Jul 16, 2008, 7:15:00 AM7/16/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mr.Garg and Malyada,
Sorry. Had not seen the attachments but only the earlier links.It is Mitragyna parviflora locally called Kalamb or Lagu Kadamb.
Regards,
Neil.

Nudrat

Jul 17, 2008, 1:44:58 AM7/17/08
to indiantreepix
The tree in the picture is indeed Mitragyna parviflora. Local names
differ so that may be a cause for confusion

On Jul 16, 4:15 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Mr.Garg and Malyada,
> Sorry. Had not seen the attachments but only the earlier links.It is Mitragyna parviflora locally called Kalamb or Lagu Kadamb.
> Regards,
> Neil.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 20, 2008, 2:23:15 PM7/20/08
to Nudrat, indiantreepix
Malyada:I am keen to know whether all the kadamb trees in vrindavan
are Kaim or it is a mix of kaim and kadamba.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 6, 2008, 2:01:02 AM10/6/08
to unc...@gmail.com, indiantreepix

Shivakumar N.

Oct 7, 2008, 4:29:31 AM10/7/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
CheckOUT this closeup PHOTO of.....
shot in Mathura in the month of June.
N.Shiva Kumar. NOIDA - 201 301.
(National Capital Region) NCR - Delhi
alternate E-mail : natu...@gmail.com

Kadam-9269.jpg

malyada

Oct 7, 2008, 7:01:34 AM10/7/08
to indiantreepix
Hi Shiva,

This is the photo of Neolamarkia cadamba, a non smelling flower. I
have seen a lot of these trees in g. noida, mostly smallish ones,
probably as they have been planted anew. The flowers are a darker
shade of brown, and do not smell at all. While Mitragyna parviflora
flowers (the photos i had posted at the start of the thread) smell
profusely. The latter is known as krishna kadamba or kaim.

thanks,
malyada

On Oct 7, 1:29 pm, "Shivakumar N." <shiva.n.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *CheckOUT this closeup PHOTO of.....*
> *shot in Mathura in the month of June.
> N.Shiva Kumar. NOIDA - 201 301.
> (National Capital Region) NCR - Delhi
> alternate E-mail : nature...@gmail.com*
>
> On 16/07/2008, maly...@gmail.com <maly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > Here are some Kadamba photos taken at Vrindaban on 12th and 13th July 2008.
> > It would be great if someone can identify the bird as well shown in one of
> > the photos. This tree flowers from late March till the rains start. It has a
> > wonderful fragrance and can be smelt from a long distance when in full
> > bloom.
> > This tree looks different than the ones posted earlier on the group. Here
> > are the earlier links:
>
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4...
>
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1...
>
> > Can someone confirm whether these are two different species, they are two
> > different tress for sure.
>
> > thanks,
> > malyada
>

> Kadam-9269.jpg
> 139KViewDownload

Shivakumar N.

Oct 7, 2008, 7:45:29 AM10/7/08
to malyada, indiantreepix
YOU are right
it does not give out any fragrance.
How do you differentiate both the flowers
other then  the sweet smell!!!!!

cheers

alternate E-mail : natu...@gmail.com

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 14, 2008, 2:04:18 AM10/14/08
to Shivakumar N., bnhsfie...@yahoogroups.com, malyada, indiantreepix
In kaim the flower looks more hairy because of protruding stylesWhereas in Kadamba at least in the pictures the globe like flower cluster is not so hairy. But the real distinguishing feature is the leaves.Kadamba leaves are softer' greener, and more beautiful. They are pointed. Whereas in kaim the shape is roundish.
Best wishes,
akbhatt