Oberonia sp-111109-PKA2

Prashant awale

Nov 11, 2009, 8:20:01 AM11/11/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this Orchid on the way from "kas to Mahabaleshwar" (03-10-2009).
Looks like Oberonia sp.

Thanks & best wishes
Prashant
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg
IMG_3056.jpg
IMG_3057.jpg

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 11, 2009, 8:52:57 AM11/11/09
to indiantreepix
Unfortunately there are no microscopic details in the flower to
identify it. I am sorry for my incapability. If some one can send me a
key to Oberonias of Maharastra, I can take a look and try my luck.

Regards
Pankaj

Vijayadas D

Nov 11, 2009, 9:22:29 AM11/11/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear all,

four types of this (will be sps.) I have noticed  from moist forests of Kerala, but  this is the first time knowing about name

Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Nov 11, 2009, 10:31:01 AM11/11/09
to Vijayadas D, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant, I have couple of photos of (same) Oberonia found at Kas plateau on 28 SEP 08 ... and I am believing it to be O. falconeri ...  the Falconer's Oberonia, and hirvi chapti amri (Marathi: हिरवी चपटी अमरी)

I referred:
http://www.orchids.co.in/orchid-species/oberonia-falconeri.shtm
Ingalhalikar ji's Flowers of Sahyadri

Regards.
2902596928_61a1fe0475_b.jpg
2901754345_7cd0bc09af_b.jpg

Prashant awale

Nov 11, 2009, 10:52:34 AM11/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh,
Thanks. Your pics matches well with mine and also from same region. I had seen this for the first time.
best wishes
prashant

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 11, 2009, 11:18:12 AM11/11/09
to indiantreepix

Almost all Oberonia looks the same from this distance except for the
size and just a few exceptions. This does not look like O. falconeri
to me, but feel free to express your views.
There are over 60 species found in India, offcourse not all are found
in Maharastra.
Regards
Pankaj

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 12, 2009, 3:50:08 AM11/12/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Prashant,
Two sp. of Oberonia occur at Mahabaleshar. The O. falconeri has
greenish yellow flowers and the midlobe of the lip is 5 times longer
than the side lobes. The other O. recurva has orange to brick red
flowers and the midlobe of lip equals the side lobes. Otherwise both
plants look similar and flowers of both are barely visible ( 1.5 mm)
to the naked eye, leave aside lobes of lip. In view of the greenish
colouration of your plant let us label this as O. falconeri. Hope you
are able to get close ups of both to be able to distinguish. Regards,
Shrikant Ingalhalikar