07102011-BS-3 Aquatic herb from Amin (Kurukshetra) Haryana- May be a new record

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Singh

6 Oct 2011, 9:00:49 pm06/10/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Aquatic herb from Amin (Kurukshetra) Haryana (260 CM)
This wild, small, about 20-25 CM aquatic herb with floating simple leaves were observed yesterday
The inflorescence spike was 20-25 CM with flowers at tip
To me it looks like any pontederaceae member
pls id
Thanks

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
IMG_2240Sm.JPG
IMG_2273Sm.JPG
IMG_2274Sm.JPG
IMG_2241Sm.JPG
IMG_2245Sm.JPG
IMG_2249Sm.JPG
IMG_2250Sm.JPG
IMG_2251Sm.JPG
IMG_2252Sm.JPG
IMG_2254Sm.JPG
IMG_2258Sm.JPG

Adittya Dharap

6 Oct 2011, 9:34:56 pm06/10/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

This seems to be some Aponogeton species. A very interesting genus.

best regards

Adittya Dharap

Balkar Singh

6 Oct 2011, 9:39:49 pm06/10/11
to Adittya Dharap, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Adittya Ji a lot i think your id is right

Tanay Bose

6 Oct 2011, 10:07:30 pm06/10/11
to Balkar Singh, Adittya Dharap, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Aponogeton for sure
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Singh

6 Oct 2011, 10:08:16 pm06/10/11
to Tanay Bose, Adittya Dharap, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay

Dr Pankaj Kumar

6 Oct 2011, 10:15:12 pm06/10/11
to efloraofindia
Why not Potamageton sp.?
Pankaj

On Oct 7, 10:08 am, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tanay
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Aponogeton for sure
> > Tanay
>
> > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks Adittya Ji a lot i think your id is right

> > *Tanay Bose*
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >            604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> > *Webpages:*

Vijayasankar

6 Oct 2011, 11:56:13 pm06/10/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
It is not Potamogeton...because...it is Aponogeton :)
Pl see some of the P. pics in this link: http://www.hlasek.com/potamogeton_coloratus_a5143.html
Nice pictures, Balkar ji.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dr Pankaj Kumar

7 Oct 2011, 12:01:02 am07/10/11
to efloraofindia
How do you differentiate them?
Pankaj

On Oct 7, 11:56 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is not Potamogeton...because...it is Aponogeton :)
> Pl see some of the P. pics in this link:http://www.hlasek.com/potamogeton_coloratus_a5143.html
> Nice pictures, Balkar ji.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

7 Oct 2011, 12:19:12 am07/10/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Aponogeton: perianth 1-3, white membranous, stamens 6 or more
Potamogeton: perianth 4, green, herbaceous, stamens 4, opposite

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Singh

7 Oct 2011, 12:19:36 am07/10/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Potamogeton is Different Pankaj Ji
I have uploaded Potamogeton earlier

Balkar Singh

7 Oct 2011, 12:19:54 am07/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir for key

Vijayasankar

7 Oct 2011, 12:24:10 am07/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji, I was just typing the same (from FBI), but you were quicker.
Pankaj, the leaf shape, colour and length of inflorescence are useful in distinguishing Aponogeton.
The tuber (or rhizome) is used as vegetable in TN, and sold in veg. markets.
Tamil name: 'Kotti vitlaan kizhangu' (i have tasted it, too !!)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Singh

7 Oct 2011, 12:26:16 am07/10/11
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijayasankar Ji for information

Giby Kuriakose

7 Oct 2011, 12:43:27 am07/10/11
to Balkar Singh, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Very nice discussion.
Wonderful learning of a new species for me.
I will search for Balkar ji's Potamogeton upload.
Thanks to all.

Regards
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Balkar Singh

7 Oct 2011, 3:49:53 am07/10/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
This is the Title of my post Giby ji

Potamogeton crispus from a canal passing through my village

thanks

Giby Kuriakose

7 Oct 2011, 3:50:58 am07/10/11
to Balkar Singh, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Giby

Balkar Singh

7 Oct 2011, 10:01:08 am07/10/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Now got full id
Aponogeton natans not a new record already reported from Haryana
Thanks to all in resolving the id