id please Ceratophyllum sp.

Skip to the first unread message

shubhada nikharge

30 Jul 2010, 8:29:51 am30/07/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
I am posting these pics again to reconfirm the species of Ceratophyllum.
the pics of Ceratophyllum have been posted on this group few moths ago and identified by Tanay ji..
The pics are taken at Anshi WLS, Karnataka in April 2010.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Ceratophyllum Sp. 2010_0418_Anshi_0869 e.jpg
Ceratophyllum Sp. 2010_0418_Anshi_0870 e.jpg
Ceratophyllum Sp. 2010_0418_Anshi_0872 e.jpg

tanay bose

30 Jul 2010, 8:45:48 am30/07/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Shubhada Ji,
This is Ceratophyllum demersum L. from the family Ceratophyllaceae commonly known as Rigid Hornwort or Common Hornwort.
Same as Rashida Ji's Plant if I have provided another ID it should nullified and kindly excuse for the mistake.

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Kumar

30 Jul 2010, 10:34:37 am30/07/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Just a vague thought of mine. Can you please smell the young leaves
and let us know if it has a pleasant smell, just in case it does, then
this may be Limnophyla....but not so sure....
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

30 Jul 2010, 8:17:30 pm30/07/10
to Pankaj Kumar, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
I too think it is Limnophila, probably L. heterophylla.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Rashida Atthar

31 Jul 2010, 7:13:13 am31/07/10
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
The last ID by Avinash ji on 4 May '10 for my posts of the same plant was  Limnophila heterophylla. Shubhada has only mentioned Tanay's response. However, my query on the distinguishing characteristic remained unanswered.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

8 Sept 2010, 1:16:04 pm08/09/10
to Rashida Atthar, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Rashida ji
Ceratophyllum does not have heterophyllous leaves. These photographs are unique to show both submerged finely dissected leaves and simple entire whorled emergent leaves so characteristic of L. heterophylla. Also the flowers are typical dicot. You can find both single axillary long pedicellate flower as well as terminal group of flowers, true for L. hererophylla.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Divakar

9 Sept 2010, 12:31:11 am09/09/10
to efloraofindia
As the leaves in this plant appears to be entire,opposite above and
whorled below, the plant could be Limnophylla indica (L.) Druce
(Leaf margins crenate to serrate in L. heterophylla whereas it is
entire or whorled & dissected in L. indica)
Regards
-Divakar

On Sep 8, 10:16 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rashida ji
> Ceratophyllum does not have heterophyllous leaves. These photographs are
> unique to show both submerged finely dissected leaves and simple entire
> whorled emergent leaves so characteristic of L. heterophylla. Also the
> flowers are typical dicot. You can find both single axillary long
> pedicellate flower as well as terminal group of flowers, true for L.
> hererophylla.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > The last ID by Avinash ji on 4 May '10 for my posts of the same plant was
> >  Limnophila heterophylla. Shubhada has only mentioned Tanay's response.
> > However, my query on the distinguishing characteristic remained unanswered.
>
> > regards,
> > Rashida.
>
> > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> I too think it is Limnophila, probably L. heterophylla.
>
> >> With regards
>
> >> Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

9 Sept 2010, 1:36:40 am09/09/10
to Divakar, efloraofindia
Divakar ji
It is Limnophila (not Limnophylla), Limno= Fresh water, phila=loving; a water loving plant. The leaves of L. heterophylla are undivided and slightly crenate-serrate (which can be seen n the specimen; my statement about entire leaves was obviously wrong). L. indica has pinnately divided aerial leaves, upper ones opposite and crenate as per eFlora of China link:

Obviously the Shubadha ji's plant is L. heterophylla

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Divakar

9 Sept 2010, 7:22:09 am09/09/10
to efloraofindia
Sorry for the error,
It should be Limnophila.
I agree withn you.
Limnophila indica leaf blades have 3-7 parallel nerves which is not
claer in the present specimen.

Thanking you,
-Divakar

On Sep 9, 10:36 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Divakar ji
> It is Limnophila (not Limnophylla), Limno= Fresh water, phila=loving; a
> water loving plant. The leaves of L. heterophylla are undivided and slightly
> crenate-serrate (which can be seen n the specimen; my statement about entire
> leaves was obviously wrong). L. indica has pinnately divided aerial leaves,
> upper ones opposite and crenate as per eFlora of China link:
>
> http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=3502&flora_id=2
>
> http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200020698
>
> Obviously the Shubadha ji's plant is L. heterophylla
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> <http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=3502&flora_id=2>

Rashida Atthar

13 Sept 2010, 3:23:27 am13/09/10
to Divakar, efloraofindia
Sorry for my delayed response Dr. Gurcharan ji. Thank you very much sir for the explanation of why it is Limnophila and not Ceratophyllum. So Avinash ji was correct after all! Thanks to all for the additional inputs.

regards,
Rashida.