Crown flower (Calotropis gigantea)

J.M. Garg

Jun 27, 2008, 11:45:00 PM6/27/08
to indiantreepix
On 15/6/08 in Hyderabad, AP. Here is some data & links from Indiantreepix Database:
Calotropis gigantea Apocynaceae Aak, Milkweed, Crown flower, Mandar, Gigantic swallow-wort, Madar Flowering at Honeymoon Island, Chilika. Feb. 2008- Sibdas ji.  Calotropis gigantea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A Calotropis - indiantreepix | Google Groups Calotropis gigantea

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

nabha meghani

Jun 28, 2008, 5:42:40 AM6/28/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, think this tree is called Rui in Marathi.  Don't remember much, but my grandma used to use Rui-Milk to seal wounds (scratches or bleeding wounds i don't remember.)

Thanks Garg ji, for sharing.
Nalini

J.M. Garg

Jun 28, 2008, 8:04:38 AM6/28/08
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
We also used its milk & young leaves for healing wounds.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 28, 2008, 9:55:12 AM6/28/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

satish phadke

Apr 11, 2009, 10:43:44 AM4/11/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
One more example of seed dispersal by wind.
The open pod of calotropis spreading its cotton seeds.
Vetal Tekdi, Pune 11 April 2009
Satish

2008/6/28 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Calotropis1.jpg

sibdas

Apr 11, 2009, 2:29:40 PM4/11/09
to indiantreepix
Milkweeds are the main plants on which the tiger butterflies hatch
their eggs. When the larvae (with bright yellow and black stripes)
groe they feed on the milk and accummulate cardiac glycosides. The
birds and other predators do not pick up the larvae, as the stored
glycosides are poisonous to them. As such butterfly gardens contain
some milkweeds.The C. procera and C. gigantea are the two main
milkweeds of our country.

On Apr 11, 7:43 pm, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One more example of seed dispersal by wind.
> The open pod of calotropis spreading its cotton seeds.
> Vetal Tekdi, Pune 11 April 2009
> Satish
>
> 2008/6/28 J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>
>

> > On 15/6/08 in Hyderabad, AP. Here is some data & links from Indiantreepix
> > Database:
> >       *Calotropis gigantea* *Apocynaceae* *Aak, Milkweed, Crown flower,
> > Mandar, Gigantic swallow-wort, Madar* Flowering at Honeymoon Island,
> > Chilika. Feb. 2008- Sibdas ji.  Calotropis gigantea - Wikipedia, the free
> > encyclopedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotropis_gigantea> A
> > Calotropis - indiantreepix | Google Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/a...> Calotropis
> > gigantea<http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/calotropis.html>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg
> > "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> > For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> > (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
> > For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
>
> --
>
> http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
>
>  Calotropis1.jpg