Citrullus colocynthis from Gurgaon

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 7, 2009, 12:08:00 AM11/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, flowers...@gmail.com
Uploading Citrullus colocynthis (L.) Schrad.  from Gurgaon. The species is distinct from C. lanatus in scabrid stems and smaller fruit (not larger than 7 cm). I have a feeling that it is this plant which is depicted on FlowersofIndia website as C. lanatus, especially the leaves. I will upload my photographs of C. lanatus separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Vijayadas D

Nov 7, 2009, 1:09:54 AM11/7/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, flowers...@gmail.com
Dear ,

whether it is edible ?
--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 7, 2009, 1:24:49 AM11/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
It is not consumed by natives. It is collected by herb collectors in bulk for herb traders.. In Homoeopathy, it is used in treatment of colic. It is left side remedy.

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayadas D

Nov 7, 2009, 1:29:15 AM11/7/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 7, 2009, 2:25:36 AM11/7/09
to Vijayadas D, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are some local names: Hindi & Urdu: Indrayan; Sanskrit: Mahendravaruni; Begali: Indrayan, makal; Guj: Indrak, indrana indravana; Mar: Kuduvarindavana, indrayan; Tam: Peykkumutti, verittumatti; Tel: Etipuchchha, paparabudama; Kan: Pavamekkekayi, tumtikayi; Mal: peykommutti; English: Colocynth, Bitter apple.

The fruits and roots are used in medicine.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 7, 2009, 2:30:44 AM11/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Swagat

Nov 8, 2009, 11:50:24 PM11/8/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayadas D, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Citrullus colocynthis' is called 'Kadu Vrundavan' 'कडू वृंदावन' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568