Re: [Indiantreepix] Re: Kadamba species - mitragyna parviflora (Kaim)

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2008, 11:20:09 PM7/20/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Nudrat, indiantreepix
Hello Anand,

I have seen about 20 odd trees in our own bagicha and they are all kaim. Most of the ones in Vrindaban, and the newly planted ones (there was a drive few years back to plant kadamb trees all over Vrindaban) as well are all kaim. I had never seen neolamarcia cadamba in Vrindaban. The first time I saw them was in Delhi.
Just needed to clarify a point from you. While quoting from Pradeep Krishan's book, you had written in a post on Vinod Ji's thread "Pradeep in his book has mentioned that Kadamba flowers are fragrant, whereas the same has not been mention for Kaim."

Its a little surprising isnt it?  I have seen Kaim trees all over Delhi. There is a row of huge trees right out the Delhi High Court premises on the Purana Quila Road, and they are extremely fragrant when in bloom. Did you mean to say it the other way? Or did Pradeep Krishan make a mistake:) By all accounts on the group now, Kadamba (neolamarcia cadamba) do not smell while kaim(mitragyna parviflora) does. And the pictures I have posted are that of the latter variety. Changing the subject with the identification now.

Thanks for all the wonderful inputs,
malyada

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Malyada:I am keen to know whether all the kadamb trees in vrindavan
are Kaim or it is a mix of kaim and kadamba.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Nudrat <nudra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The tree in the picture is indeed Mitragyna parviflora. Local names
> differ so that may be a cause for confusion
>
> On Jul 16, 4:15 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mr.Garg and Malyada,
>>    Sorry. Had not seen the attachments but only the earlier links.It is Mitragyna parviflora locally called Kalamb or Lagu Kadamb.
>>                 Regards,
>>                   Neil.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 21, 2008, 3:18:33 AM7/21/08
to mal...@gmail.com, Nudrat, indiantreepix
dear Malyada:
Pradip Krishna might have mixed up. I checked up again in the book.
for kadamba flowers he has mentioned that they are fragrant. For Kaim
he has not mentioned. But he is correct on his basic point that the
Kadamba associated with Krishna is Kaim.

Best wishes and thanks,
akbhatt

vinod kumar gupta

Jul 21, 2008, 6:54:15 AM7/21/08
to mal...@gmail.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Nudrat, indiantreepix

Hi

I rechecked Pradip Krishen's book and it mentions flowers of both Kaim and kadamb as fragrant(doesnt say which are more fragrant)

Vinod

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 6, 2008, 1:56:21 AM10/6/08
to unc...@gmail.com, unc...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Sunetro! I am forwarding some old correspondence on the subject which will clarify the matter.
akbhatt