Magnolia grandiflora from Kashmir

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

14 Jul 2010, 9:05:53 am14/07/10
to efloraofindia
I have seen specimens of Magnolia grandiflora, some even in California but never seen such magestic trees and such large flowers as seen in Kashmir. Even flowerbud may be as long as 15 cm, and if plucked and kept in a flower vase it may open and remain fresh even up to 10 days, emitting fragrans all this time. This one was photographed from Nishat Garden.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Magnolia-grandiflora-Kashmir-a.jpg
Magnolia-grandiflora-Kashmir-b.jpg
Magnolia-grandiflora-Kashmir-c.jpg

tanay bose

14 Jul 2010, 9:15:34 am14/07/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
A tentative description of the plant from....

Eflora of China:: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200008470

Eflora of Pakistan:: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200008470

Elora of North America::  http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=200008470
(Details)

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

promila chaturvedi

14 Jul 2010, 9:23:44 am14/07/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Ward Lake  -La chumeire Hill- Shillong used to have a really magnifiecent Magnolia superba tree. Do not know if the tree is still there.
Promila

Rashida Atthar

14 Jul 2010, 9:52:52 am14/07/10
to promila chaturvedi, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Wow !! and great close up shots too ! Thank you sir.

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

14 Jul 2010, 12:26:51 pm14/07/10
to Rashida Atthar, promila chaturvedi, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice shot sir ji,   I have seen this tree and flower at the Chashmeshahi Gardens, Srinagar.  I have sent the photos here before.

Regards,

Mani.