VALMIKI : OBSERVER OF NATURE

Skip to the first unread message

Col Bimal Sarkar

21 May 2011, 10:24:32 am21/05/11
Dear Friend,
Valmiki mentioned a tre NICHULA in his Ramayan.This plant is scientifically known as Barringtonia acutangula.In Hindi it is known as Ingar and the same tree is known as Hijal in Bangla.The tree is in bloom at this time of the year.Attaching two images of NICHULA.You may like these.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Nichula 1.jpg
Nichula 2.jpg

formp...@yahoo.com

22 May 2011, 3:23:21 am22/05/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
If not mistaken it is in Jijamata Udyan, Bhayculla, near previous elephant place.
Entire plant when flowering looks beauty.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Col Bimal Sarkar

23 May 2011, 10:05:49 am23/05/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching an image of SAL tree as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.Good quality Sal is not available at Cooch behar town.There are few trees.They don't have majestic look.Scientifically this tree is known as Shorea robusta.
Sal 1.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

23 May 2011, 10:20:07 am23/05/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for sharing the pics sir.
Now that you know about epics, I had been searching for one slok from
vedas. This slok can be interpreted as, OFFERING ONE BRAHMA KAMAL TO
GOD IS EQUIVALENT TO OFFERING 1000 ROSES TO HIM.
I am looking for the original sanskrit version of this if you could
help.
Pankaj

Satish Chile

23 May 2011, 10:30:09 am23/05/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
The gum resin of Shorea robusta is very useful. Also the oil.

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Ushadi micromini

23 May 2011, 2:49:34 pm23/05/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj Kumarji: Sounds like you wer not able to find DR> M.
Uniyal... from our last converstion here in eflora about brahma-
kamal....

Usha di
====

Pankaj Kumar