Oberonia species at Kas

Skip to the first unread message

Satish Phadke

25 Sept 2010, 9:59:41 am25/09/10
to indiantreepix
Sharing pictures of Oberonia species with young flowering shoot.
Dr Phadke
_MG_0365s.jpg
_MG_0364s.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 10:22:56 am25/09/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Cant confirm without seeing proper floral structure. Which place is
this from by the way?
Regards
Pankaj

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sharing pictures of Oberonia species with young flowering shoot.
> Dr Phadke

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 10:24:53 am25/09/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
sorry, I didnt see properly that it was from Kas!
Regards
Pankaj

Satish Phadke

25 Sept 2010, 10:28:01 am25/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Sorry for the picture without adequate details. Oberonias are observed in Kas so I was badly searching on trees But Sachin Punekar told me it's too early to see the full flowers. Luckily I could see this one . Not aware which species are found there.
Dr Phadke

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 10:29:25 am25/09/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
You may visit it next sunday, you can see the blooms.
Pankaj

Bhatt Sweta

25 Sept 2010, 1:26:42 pm25/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
You can find this specially on the trees when u are descending the steps to Thoseghar waterfalls... Could find couple of them there....

Regards,

Shweta
--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 1:53:56 pm25/09/10
to Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
By any chance Ms. Sweta, do you have pictures of open flowers?
Pankaj

Bhatt Sweta

25 Sept 2010, 2:14:12 pm25/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yours is much clearer. However, sending mine as well...
Oberonia species-1.JPG
Oberonia species (1)-1.JPG

Smita Raskar

25 Sept 2010, 2:26:46 pm25/09/10
to Bhatt Sweta, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix

Even i hv captured it from Kas and want to know species..but flowers were not open, we have it in Amboli too
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Picture 835.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

25 Sept 2010, 2:33:55 pm25/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Satish ji. For people engaged in Tantra activities it is not less than a boon. In my database I have information about 21 formulations in which it is used as main ingredient.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Bhatt Sweta

25 Sept 2010, 2:38:43 pm25/09/10
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
It is Oberonia species, belongs to orchidaceae family.

This particular Oberonia is showing pendulous habit of growth, with tiny flowers produced in a spike and is an epiphytic form.

Found one link of pictures of the same...
http://gallery.orchidspng.com/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=5

Oberonia is represented by 53 species . Our God's Own country, Kerala, reports presence of twenty four species .

http://6528900746758182340-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/orchidkerala/oberonia.htm?attachauth=ANoY7cplWfGS9597EPlTiueEEOMHeCDMu5cpJdl46Q6v2GfsUJt6c4X5Os9w5j2tbu745OzFlkYEblJ8Nfl9gTnaeT3l6p-t29WcCox2_MefoCD3-B0Bw9nWnT11xjI2AOX_pJoRZM9B4Q-oqoRBX68NL6zRzpLS5uDOpzrxybZbXyYi3PZjVv_apE4HC2ujY8-cRjgUqe1P&attredirects=0

Regards,
Shweta

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 2:38:51 pm25/09/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Are you talking about all species in general or some specific ones Oudhia sir?
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

25 Sept 2010, 2:40:51 pm25/09/10
to efloraofindia
Specific information will be in the proposed book on Medicinal Orchids. ;)

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Dinesh Valke

25 Sept 2010, 2:45:00 pm25/09/10
to Smita Raskar, Bhatt Sweta, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Not sure if there are more than one species at Kas, attached are photos of Oberonia falconeri (my belief) ... ... this is two years back, 28 SEP 08 at Kas.

Regards.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Smita Raskar <smita....@gmail.com> wrote:
2902596928_61a1fe0475_b.jpg
2901754345_7cd0bc09af_b.jpg
2901754345_d94b74db04_o_CROPPED.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 2:48:45 pm25/09/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Oudhia sir, dont worry I will not practice tantra....just kidding....

@Ms. Sweta: Thanks for the information, just one addition, you are
absolutely right, may be you meant it that way and I misunderstood. In
India itself this genus is represented by 52 species including two
varieties. And then there are few new species coming from here and
there.

Oberonia stands for the Prince of Faries, Prince Oberon.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2010, 2:57:14 pm25/09/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Sir,
Yes your plant could possibly be Oberonia falconeri. But cant confirm
without opened flowers.
Pankaj

Satish Phadke

26 Sept 2010, 8:06:16 am26/09/10
to indiantreepix
A reply from Milind Sardesai ji
Oberonia recurva

On 26 September 2010 08:37, Milind M Sardesai <sarde...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
Oberonia recurva

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:29:35 +0530 wrote

>Sharing pictures of Oberonia species with young flowering shoot.
Dr Phadke

With warm regards

Yours sincerely

Milind M. Sardesai, Ph.D.
Reader in Botany
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad-431004
(M.S.) INDIA.
Phone : 0240-2403303
Fax : 0240-2403225
Mobile : 088050 75007