[EfloraIndia_161211PD01_Entada rheedii Flora of Odisha]

prasad dash

Dec 16, 2011, 7:39:46 AM12/16/11
to Indiantreepix

Dear members sharing the images of one of the rare medicinal liana from Ranpur, Nayagarh. total individuals 48 only in the whole range of Maal RF and 11 in all the 10 transacts that i laid in the study area.

Name of the species: Entada rheedi Sy. Entada pursaetha; Entada scandens

Family: Mimosaceae

Place of Collection: Ranpur, Nayagarh, Odisha

Habit: Liana

Habitat: Wild, Odisha semi-evergreen to moist deciduous forests, Near perennial hill streams

Altitude: Up to 400 m above msl

Description: Woody climber. Bark brown. Leaves usually ending in a point or bifid tendril. Leaflets 2-4 pairs, even-pinnate, obovate. Fls. creamish. Pods 60cm. long., chestnut coloured.

--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Ushadi micromini

Dec 16, 2011, 7:42:47 AM12/16/11
to efloraindia
so thata s where my " gile kora jamar bij " comes from...
great
thanks
usha di
ps i thought it only grows in the western ghat... nice to know its
close to home!!!

=========

On Dec 16, 5:39 pm, prasad dash <prasad.dash2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear members sharing the images of one of the rare medicinal liana from
> Ranpur, Nayagarh. total individuals 48 only in the whole range of Maal RF
> and 11 in all the 10 transacts that i laid in the study area.
>

> *Name of the species: Entada rheedi Sy. Entada pursaetha; Entada scandens*
>
> *Family: Mimosaceae*
>
> *Place of Collection: Ranpur, Nayagarh, Odisha*
>
> *Habit: Liana*
>
> *Habitat: Wild, Odisha semi-evergreen to moist deciduous forests, Near
> perennial hill streams*
>
> *Altitude: Up to 400 m above msl
> *

> or bifid tendril. Leaflets 2-4 pairs, even-pinnate, obovate. Fls. creamish.

> Pods 60cm. long., chestnut coloured.*

> --
> Prasad Kumar Dash
> Ecologist, Orissa, India

> email: prasad.dash2...@gmail.com
> ph. 09437444241
>
>  Entada scandens habiat.jpg
> 692KViewDownload
>
>  Entada scandens liana 1.jpg
> 467KViewDownload
>
>  Entada scandens liana.jpg
> 566KViewDownload
>
>  Entada scandens seeds.jpg
> 503KViewDownload
>
>  Entada scandens.jpg
> 456KViewDownload
>
>  Entada scandens leaves.jpg
> 439KViewDownload

Tanay Bose

Dec 16, 2011, 9:22:16 AM12/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraindia
Nice set of picture Prasad Ji
This the plant which we call "gill'e" ki bengali
used to cress the arms of kurta
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

prasad dash

Dec 17, 2011, 12:39:58 AM12/17/11
to Tanay Bose, Ushadi micromini, efloraindia
Many thanks Ushadi mam and tanay Ji for appreciation. This is also called BADAGILO in Odiya and have got many medicinal properties. Especieally the seeds ate used to treat stomach disorder among childrens in tribal areas.

Regards

prasad
email: prasad....@gmail.com
ph. 09437444241

Sheshadri Ramaswamy

Dec 18, 2011, 11:19:12 AM12/18/11
to efloraindia
Good photos Prasad ji,

This Liana is called ' Chappekai ' in Kannada.
Grows in moist deciduous valleys.
Crosses about 5 to 6 tree canopies.

Regards.

> > *Tanay Bose*

> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >            604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca

> > *Webpages:*

> email: prasad.dash2...@gmail.com
> ph. 09437444241

prasad dash

Dec 19, 2011, 1:51:57 AM12/19/11
to Sheshadri Ramaswamy, efloraindia
Thanks Sheshadri Ji for comments and additional information on the habitat of this species. I had also observed the same in its locality during collection as the liana was spread over 4 trees.

Regards

Prasad
email: prasad....@gmail.com
ph. 09437444241