Bauhinia sps.

Skip to the first unread message

ushaprabha page

22 Sept 2010, 1:30:38 am22/09/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Different Bauhinias for further id. pl
1&2 flower and  it`s tree
5&6 flower and.it`s tree.
P2190782.JPG
P2200790.JPG
P2210797.JPG
P2280852.JPG
P2140693.JPG
P2140692.JPG
P3110910.JPG

Kenneth Greby

22 Sept 2010, 1:40:37 am22/09/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
All look like B. variegata, except #0797, which is B. x blakeana.

Nice photos!

Regards--
Ken.

22 Sept 2010, 3:02:38 am22/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
P2140693 I thought is Bauhinia alba
P2210797, I thought is Bauhinia purpurea
I may be wrong...
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dinesh Valke

22 Sept 2010, 6:03:14 am22/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
P2140693 ... Bauhinia alba as well as B. variegata var. candida are now synonyms of B. variegata ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?6602
P2210797 ... certainly not B. purpurea, whose petals are more slender, and has only 3 stamens.

Am justifying my thoughts, could be wrong.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

22 Sept 2010, 10:14:48 am22/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji got them all right except that it is more appropriately cv. Candida or B. variegata 'Candida'

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

22 Sept 2010, 11:06:23 am22/09/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dinesh Sir,

I again have one VERY SIMPLE question as usual:

Which alba are you talking of:
Bauhinia alba Hort. (this is a cultivar not a species)
OR
Bauhinia alba Buch.-Ham. ex Wall.

For your information, there is a species called Bauhinia alba and then
there is a cultivated variety called Bauhinia variegata 'Alba'. When
following any plant name from GRIN full name is to be checked.
As far as I can make out GRIN is talking about the cultivated variety
so please do not misinterpret the informations.
I assume more than 80% of people here are not taxonomists so its not a
big deal as they tend to miss the technical details of it.
Though I may be wrong!!
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

22 Sept 2010, 11:07:36 am22/09/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
and yes, you were 100% correct about B. purpurea and my apologies for
the wrong id. They can also be differentiated on the basis of the
foliar structure.
Regards
Pankaj

ushaprabha page

22 Sept 2010, 11:09:44 am22/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for id.

Dinesh Valke

22 Sept 2010, 11:17:31 am22/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pankaj ... was not aware that there are two avataars of Bauhinia alba !!!
Referred to link of NPGS / GRIN ... it states Bauhinia alba Hort. as synonym of B. variegata.
Many thanks for making me aware that the syntax is not necessarily followed.

Pankaj Kumar

22 Sept 2010, 11:19:37 am22/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
Hort. is not author citation there, it is pointing towards may be
horticultural variety, in other words, cultivars.
Regards
Pankaj

ajinkya gadave

22 Sept 2010, 11:22:38 am22/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great discussion.

Dinesh Valke

22 Sept 2010, 11:42:13 am22/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Once again many thanks for enlightening dear Pankaj ... now laughing at my stupidity !!!!!!!
Hort. stands for Horticultural variety ... this will remain registered in my mind.

Regards.

ushaprabha page

22 Sept 2010, 11:45:19 am22/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
very interesting.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

22 Sept 2010, 11:56:37 am22/09/10
to ushaprabha page, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
In a lighter vein, as the Bard said:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
ak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Gurcharan Singh

22 Sept 2010, 12:50:31 pm22/09/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, ushaprabha page, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
According to GRIN B. alba Hort is synonym of B. variegata (GRIN does not talk about cultivars)
According to Hortus Third B. alba Buch.-Ham. (as also B. candida Ait.) are synonyms of B. variegata cv. Candida.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

26 Sept 2010, 3:29:04 am26/09/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, ushaprabha page, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
On GRIN website, there is one option at the end of the webpage

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?6602

Abbreviations & symbols in GRIN Taxonomy

In this GRIN writes, 'hort.' as "hortulanorum (Latin): of gardeners,
signifying that the name was first used in gardens and was later
published without the name of its originator."

Can you please tell me if it relates with cultivated varieties or not.
Because I still have doubts about the synonymy of this species.
Bauhinia alba Buch.-Ham. should be a distinct species. Why will GRIN
not use a proper author citation and write B. alba as B. alba hort..
They cant make such silly mistakes.

Regards
Pankaj

promila chaturvedi

26 Sept 2010, 7:58:01 am26/09/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
One of them Bauhinia blakeana, 2 of them are B. alba and the remaining seems to be varigata.
Promila

Gurcharan Singh

26 Sept 2010, 2:55:22 pm26/09/10
to promila chaturvedi, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Other sources which treat B. alba Buch.-Ham. ex Wall. (or simply B. alba) as synonym of B. variegata var. candida

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Padmini Raghavan

26 Sept 2010, 3:09:49 pm26/09/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, ushaprabha page, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
The discussion is too technical for me to appreciate. However I DO appreciate the beauty of the flowers.
Where in India do they flower so very profusely?

 I thought our B. blakeana had put on a good show but these have surpassed the poor Chennai specimen, being fully covered with only flowers.
Padmini Raghavan.