Triumfetta annua from Mussoorie Chakrata road near Kalsi

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

29 Sept 2011, 6:10:30 am29/09/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Triumfetta annua Linn., Mant. 1:73. 1767.

The species is distinct from others in its orange flowers and glabrous uncinate spines on the fruit. Annual herb up to 1 m tall, stem purplish on one side with line of hairs; leaves ovate to ovate-lanceolate, 3-5-veined from base, stipules linear, hirsute; cymes leaf-opposed, usually 3-flowered; flowers orange, 8 mm across, petals slightly smaller than sepals; stamens 10; capsule globose 9-11 mm in diam including spines which are 4-5 mm long glabrous and with hooked tips.

Photographed from near Kalsi along Mussoorie Chakrata road on September 16, 2011

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Triumfetta-annua-Between Dakpathar and Kalsi-2.jpg
Triumfetta-annua-Mussoorie-Chakrata Road near Kalsi-3.jpg
Triumfetta-annua-near Dakpathar towards Kalsi-1.jpg

Ushadi micromini

29 Sept 2011, 7:32:58 am29/09/11
to efloraofindia
very thoughtful...

what is 3 flowered?

Usha di
====

On Sep 29, 3:10 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Triumfetta annua* Linn., Mant. 1:73. 1767.
>  Triumfetta-annua-Between Dakpathar and Kalsi-2.jpg
> 176KViewDownload
>
>  Triumfetta-annua-Mussoorie-Chakrata Road near Kalsi-3.jpg
> 143KViewDownload
>
>  Triumfetta-annua-near Dakpathar towards Kalsi-1.jpg
> 100KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

29 Sept 2011, 8:47:38 am29/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I liked the way Sir ji gives the description So neat.I have to recheck all my Triumfettas.
Some botanical terms are difficult to digest though(Uncinate spines: I will search it; no issues. Are they typically seen here in these pictures?)...Still most of the description is so clear. The characters are illustrated in the pictures too.
Usha di. The cyme is 3 flowered I suppose; that is it consists of 3 flowers.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

29 Sept 2011, 9:04:57 am29/09/11
to Satish Phadke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Satish ji
I used the term uncinate initially but when I described the spines at the end I was reminded of persons like you and used hooked, which means the same. I think I will have to learn to be less technical in future.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

29 Sept 2011, 9:09:29 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks for Sharing Sir
i could not locate this in my collection
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

29 Sept 2011, 9:10:22 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
You are perfect with your teaching. Don't change anything. These terms are stimulus for us to learn. In fact I have an idea of starting something like.......
 "term of the week" (Was started earlier by Garg ji but somehow not supported by others with the same zeal) Here some term will be coined by some expert for a week and evryone will try to upload pictures supporting it.We can find variation it it also.Future ideas must evolve tomake the group interesting Isn't it?

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Samir Mehta

19 Oct 2014, 4:37:00 am19/10/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, sing...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
'"term of the week" (Was started earlier by Garg ji but somehow not supported by others with the same zeal)'

Great idea, why not restart it?

Regards,

Samir Mehta

Ushadi Micromini

19 Oct 2014, 4:45:28 am19/10/14
to Samir Mehta, surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Good idea
I am in the same boat as you Satish...and a bit further behind in terms of botanical definitions terms than you,

I welcome the idea..

I will even ask questions about some new term i donot know..
so Gurcharanji, Nidhan, Vijaya, Dr Rawat et al will have a lot of willing students and terms to define and illustrate.

It will be our own open university.

WHat a great idea.
Usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

19 Oct 2014, 5:15:19 am19/10/14
to Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Good idea Ushadi and Satish ji.
Let us start them again.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

19 Oct 2014, 7:33:40 am19/10/14
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
A pictorial botanary i think, novel and very useful idea. Do we upload pictures/images in the same/master thread or separately as we do during regular fortnight?

Regards

Ushadi Micromini

19 Oct 2014, 1:27:47 pm19/10/14
to Gurcharan Singh, Samir Mehta, surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
OK
Satish
shall we call the thread Botany Nomenclature  101 Indiatreepx College

or

 now you think ...your turn to come up with a name
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

19 Oct 2014, 1:29:32 pm19/10/14
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
yes that too... we should definitely have pictures
picture we took ourselves and got identified
or drew as in class room
or from the net

or from some book with their permission or full quotation/reference give.

that would be lovely, please see above, what I wrote to Satish

--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

19 Oct 2014, 1:43:13 pm19/10/14
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Didi,
My question was - should we upload the pictures in one single thread defining the 'particular term' so that the very single thread serves as a ready-reckoner with all its variations within the term? If wrong pictures are uploaded in the same thread we would learn instantly where the pictures went wrong.
If the posts are made in separate threads that will be inconvenient for a dictionary for future use as well as for new members. It won't serve quick glance purpose.
Thank you
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

19 Oct 2014, 8:33:09 pm19/10/14
to surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Dear Surajit ji
Problem with the single thread would be when it would be bulky and Google does not allow any more attachments.
    I think in that case we can start new thread with -2, -3 etc.
    But then for the purpose of convenient search I think each term has separate thread. A member may start the thread and others add their images or additional information through replies. That way a member can easily explore a term.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Gurcharan Singh

surajit koley

19 Oct 2014, 9:40:33 pm19/10/14
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Yes Sir, there is size concern and there is google policy.

It seems to work as well, with convenience, by dividing the thread of a term, like TUBERCLE : GS, TUBERCLE : SK.... but there won't be any tubercle:sk1, tubercle:sk2, tubercle:sk3..... one member won't make separate threads for variations within a given term. Instead he/she will upload all images in his/her single thread adding one (set) by one (set) serially through reply mails. Would it be acceptable?

Thank you
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

19 Oct 2014, 11:24:20 pm19/10/14
to surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
That is OK Surajit ji
One thread for one term, with posts by all members who want to contribute/comment.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

20 Oct 2014, 11:47:25 am20/10/14
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, Samir Mehta, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Satish Phadke
Thank you Sir
Regards