Tree's sporting the summer look #6 of 15 | Red Sanders Tree or Red Sandal wood

raghu ananth

Apr 9, 2010, 5:03:07 AM4/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thu, 8 April, 2010 10:33:02 AM
Red Sanders Tree or Red Sandal wood | Tree's sporting the summer look #6 of 15

Thick piece of wood (beams used in house construction) from  this tree, retains its red color for
 a long number of years.

Red Sandal Wood or Red Sander,
Pterocarpus santalinus Linn. f.
Hindi Lalchandan, raktachandan
Family Fabaceae
endemic,  endangered,
deciduous medium sized tree,

Date/Time-27 Mar 2010, 11:06:48

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Mamandur, Near Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh,

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild, Eastern ghats

lant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Tree

Height/Length-approx - 30 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  No flowers observed

Regards
Raghu

DSC_0502b.jpg
DSC_0505b.jpg
DSC_0506b.jpg
DSC_0503b.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 9, 2010, 12:13:41 PM4/9/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
Raghu Ji for sharing pictures. At least I never got a chance to see this plant so closely as it's not native to my state.
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Swagat

Apr 10, 2010, 9:37:15 AM4/10/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Pterocarpus santalinus' is called "RaktaChandan' 'रक्तचंदन' / 'Ratanjan' 'रातांजन' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979