Salvadora persica(peelu) flowering

vinod kumar gupta

Jan 31, 2008, 12:27:06 PM1/31/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Again continuing with flowering plants,this one taken at Sunder nursery (delhi)10 days back.

Note the characteristically rough and deeply furrowed bark.The flowers,though incospicuous, are visible

Vinod

salvadora persica_peelu_sunder nursery_12377_20.1.8.jpg
salvadora-persica_peelu_sunder nursery_12380_20.1.8.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 31, 2008, 9:59:21 PM1/31/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Vinod ji,
Lovely pictures of Peelu. We used to eat them when they used to get riped in Hodal (Distt. Faridabad, Haryana) at the peak of summers during 'Loo'- the hot winds.

The toothbrush tree, Salvadora persica (other names Galenia asiatica, Salvadora indica, "Peelu"), is a small tree or shrub with a crooked trunk, seldom more than one foot in diameter, its bark scabrous and cracked, whitish with pendulous extremities. The root bark of the tree is light brown ( sand like colur ) and the inner surfaces are of even lighter shade brown , the odour is like cress and its taste is warm and pungent. Its fibrous branches have been used as toothbrushes by many Islamic communities — miswaks

The above inf. taken from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvadora_persica

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

satish phadke

Feb 1, 2008, 9:36:35 AM2/1/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Oh lovely picture of this and all other plants posted by you.I have yet to notice this tree ! Will try to look for it around here(Pune) ...Any Marathi name for it?
By the way nice sterculia foetida tree is in full blossom near my house for last full week of full february 2008.Also in full bloom is Heterophragma quadriloculare (Waras In Marathi) One by one many trees will bloom upto summer.
Happy flowering.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Phadke
DSCN0180sterculia.jpg

bindu kapadia

Feb 1, 2008, 9:38:35 AM2/1/08
to J.M. Garg, vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, i am also remembering my childhood when we used to pick and eat the red Peelu fruits!
Bindu

satish phadke

Feb 1, 2008, 10:27:21 AM2/1/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com