amit uid 1 2352011

Skip to the first unread message

amit chauhan

23 May 2011, 2:00:02 am23/05/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Sending photos of Kaemferia sp. details as in the photos. Please help
in identification

regards
--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

kaem1 (4).JPG
kaem1 (5).JPG
kaem1.JPG
kaem3.JPG
kaem4.JPG

Ritesh Choudhary

23 May 2011, 2:52:02 am23/05/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Amit ji,

This looks like Kaempferia pulchra to me.

What do u say?

Regards,
Ritesh.

amit chauhan

23 May 2011, 4:41:06 am23/05/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Hi,
Riteshji

You are correct even I was doubtful of being it as galanga or rotundus
as the nursery men told me. But the images I checked in google shows
very variegated leaves this leaves me confused. And one more thing can
you provide me the distribution of this species in India.

regards

amit chauhan

23 May 2011, 5:09:16 am23/05/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Hi,

I am confused K. elegans also looks same

Ritesh Choudhary

23 May 2011, 5:10:14 am23/05/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Amit ji,

Pl follow this link to get more info on this sp.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Kaempferia

The site mentions a close similarity between K. elegans and K.
pulchra. Quoting them as it is "....Some taxonomists consider this
species and Kaempferia pulchra to be the same but more research needs
to be done regarding this. Although superficially very similar, their
flowers are easily distinguishable from each other."

However, "The Plant List" treats K. pulchra under the synonymy of K.
elegans.

K. elegans has been mentioned in the list of Indian Gingers (http://
www.gingersofindia.com).

Regards,
Ritesh.

amit chauhan

23 May 2011, 5:39:11 am23/05/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Now K. laotica also emerge as similar to both of them.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

23 May 2011, 5:56:25 am23/05/11
to amit chauhan, efloraofindia
Dear Amitji,

I dont think your plant is K. laotica.

Pl go through the attached PDF.

Regards,
Ritesh.
Kaempferia.pdf

amit chauhan

23 May 2011, 6:17:28 am23/05/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji all doubts clear I will go with K. elegans and really
thanks for the pdf.

regards