Resurfacing older mails

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2011, 8:14:32 AM10/20/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
For a long time myself and Garg ji have been performing the job of resurfacing older mails which have not been identified conclusively, but the job gets delayed when we have to go out for a long time to a place where we can't devote enough time on net. It is heartening in such circumstances to find some members doing the job of resurfacing, although they may be resurfacing their own uploads. Earlier Muthu ji had been doing this, and now Bhagyashree ji. More members may like to resurface their old mails, or those of others, or for s specific date span for all. The following guidelines should be kept in mind while resurfacing.

1. Please don't start a new mail to include your photographs. This will result in breaking with old thread. Go to the original thread, locate the mail that contains photographs (usually the first mail of thread, unless you forgot to attach photographs in first), open it and click Forward button under it.
2. In the new mail window that opens type the address of this group "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com>(it should come up automatically when you just type ef., after coma type the email ID of original poster, and email IDs of few experts in that Group/area (Western Ghats/Northern India/Himalayas/NE India/orchids/composites/garden plants, etc that you know from your experience.
3. In main window start with line "Resurfacing for ID/ID confirmation. in next few lines include what have been previous relevant comments.
4. Send the mail. You need not attach fresh photographs unless you have some more photographs to add. Your original photographs would get attached when you press forward button.
5. Please don't change the subject line at all, or else the thread will get broken.

Happy resurfacing

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Oct 20, 2011, 8:34:20 AM10/20/11
to efloraofindia
Well said, Gurcharanji

I want to add that starting new threads only adds to the number of the
threads that need to be classified in our website... which task at
present falls to Garg ji, Dinesh ji and Gurcharanji... i think...
so it behooves us not to increase their work load...

ITS ALSO IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOU OWN THREADS AS NEARLY COMPLETE AS
POSSIBLE>>> IF YOU DID NOT THINK THAT YOU HAD ENOUGH INFO OR IF YOU
THINK ID WAS NOT DEFINITELY ESTABLISHED KEEP TACK OF IT AND REFURCAE
IT AS PER GUIDELINE GIVEN BY DR SINGH ABOVE>>>

thanks Usha di
=======

On Oct 20, 5:14 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends
> For a long time myself and Garg ji have been performing the job of
> resurfacing older mails which have not been identified conclusively, but the
> job gets delayed when we have to go out for a long time to a place where we
> can't devote enough time on net. It is heartening in such circumstances to
> find some members doing the job of resurfacing, although they may be
> resurfacing their own uploads. Earlier Muthu ji had been doing this, and now
> Bhagyashree ji. More members may like to resurface their old mails, or those
> of others, or for s specific date span for all. The following guidelines
> should be kept in mind while resurfacing.
>
> 1. Please don't start a new mail to include your photographs. This will
> result in breaking with old thread. Go to the original thread, locate the
> mail that contains photographs (usually the first mail of thread, unless you
> forgot to attach photographs in first), open it and click *Forward
> button *under

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2011, 8:56:24 AM10/20/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
AND PLEASE TAKE CARE. ONLY THOSE MAILS WHICH ARE 15 DAYS OR MORE OLDER SHOULD BE RESURFACED AND FOR SUBSEQUENT RESURFACING THERE SHOULD AGAIN BE A GAP OF 15 DAYS OR MORE.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 20, 2011, 9:27:24 AM10/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji Thank you
just one query
has there been a change in the duration required for Resurfacing as when I was given the following link for guidelines when I newly joined the group

it states that in point no 10

10. Members are requested to forward Id. requests/ confirmation mails again in case there is no response for about 3 days on the group.

I thought it is 3 days I did not know it has changed to 15 days.

I am sorry I have posted for Resurfacing following the old guidelines

Thank you for informing about the change

Regards

Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2011, 9:43:25 AM10/20/11
to Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Madhuri ji
Let us wait for atleast fifteen days, otherwise number of mails coming in will increase greatly. Also backlog of 2 months has to be covered by myself and Garg ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 20, 2011, 9:47:32 AM10/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes. In fact I was surprised to see only 3 days gap in the older guidelines
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2011, 9:51:09 AM10/20/11
to Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
The days have changed. Earlier there were less than 2000 mails mails, and we wanted more. Now more than 6000 to handle.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Oct 20, 2011, 10:00:48 AM10/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Madhuri...
resurfacing  should not be new threads..
just go to your own old / original thread...

and do as Dr. Singh has written...

it would be nice.. that every member keeps track of their own incomplete threads...
thanks for doing it.. but just do it in your own original thread...

usha di
======

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2011, 1:05:00 AM10/21/11
to Madhuri Raut, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Hi, Madhuri ji,
3 days as per guidelines are OK as after three days hardly anybody looks at such threads.
However, as Singh ji stated we should try that we are able to resurface at least within 15 days, which currently is three months.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1725 members & 85,000 messages on 30/9/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species).

ushadi Micromini

Oct 21, 2011, 1:37:43 AM10/21/11
to J.M. Garg, Madhuri Raut, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, that sort of longer duration gives time for an idea to percolate in peoples' memory banks, and they can keep an eye out for your query.

Three days or even 15 days is too short a time for the experts to have arrived at a decision or have had time to think about one or two or ten such cases that they see...

I say this because I have noticed that our experts are all very sincere and they all look at the pics diligently, and tell you something... one way or another...
so if they did not say anything or arrive at a diagnosis ... perhaps it needs a rest... time to percolate...

usha di
======

Madhuri Raut

Oct 21, 2011, 1:52:23 AM10/21/11
to ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
very much agreed Ushadi Thank you
Regards
Bhagyashri