Is it African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata)?

J.M. Garg

May 27, 2008, 3:45:28 AM5/27/08
to indiantreepix
On 25/5/08 at Sanjeeviaya Park, Secunderabad, AP. I am confused with the fruit.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Barry Stock

May 27, 2008, 7:25:09 AM5/27/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Oroxylum indicum?

-bs

<African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata) is it- at Secunderabad I IMG_6625.jpg><African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata) is it- at Secunderabad I IMG_6626.jpg>

Kenneth Greby

May 27, 2008, 8:55:07 AM5/27/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
 Looks like Spathodea to me. Foliage is somewhat less tomentose than most seen here in the US, but the upright fruit is typical.

 Oroxylum indicum has bipinnate foliage and pendant, longer fruit.

Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, FL USA

vijay kiyawat

May 28, 2008, 3:20:56 AM5/28/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
of course it is. the pod on opening looks like a boat. it is a great delight for children.
-vijay kiyawat

vijay kiyawat

May 28, 2008, 3:24:45 AM5/28/08
to Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
do you have a picture of oroxylum indicum? can you post it?
-vijay kiyawat

May 28, 2008, 3:34:08 AM5/28/08
to vijay kiyawat, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
Thanks, Barry, Kenneth & Vijay ji,
Here is an Indiantreepix link on Oraxylum indicum (Broken bones tree) with pictures of its pods: http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/5ece5feef5d9b1e0/53ab5efb98c55ba0?lnk=gst&q=oroxylum+indicum#53ab5efb98c55ba0
It certainly is not Oroxylum indicum.

vijay kiyawat

May 28, 2008, 4:42:11 AM5/28/08
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
what is the origin of broken bone here?
-vijay

J.M. Garg

May 28, 2008, 4:53:18 AM5/28/08
to vijay kiyawat, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
I think this link has the answer under 'uses':

Kenneth Greby

May 28, 2008, 8:43:35 AM5/28/08
to vijay kiyawat, Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
 Here are a couple of pictures of a young Oroxylum indicum that I planted in the Miami Springs, FL (USA) dog park.

 The tree is approximately 3m tall, flower stalks a little over 1m in length. Individual flower is approximately 10-12cm across.

 This tree is about 2.5 years old from seed.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/PHTO0052-3.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/PHTO0054-5.jpg

Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, FL USA

satish phadke

May 28, 2008, 11:17:04 AM5/28/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I think the pod is directed upwards like a sword in case of spathodia.
It can be Heterophragma if it is directed down. Look for the flat seeds I had depicted in my earlier post.
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2008, 12:05:00 AM5/29/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
Hi, Satish ji,
Pods in my posting were directed upwards only. Could give your earlier stated link pl.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 29, 2008, 8:32:44 AM5/29/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
If you go by the leaf, your identification is correct. I could not find a picture of the seed pod.
akbhatt

vijay kiyawat

May 29, 2008, 10:23:20 AM5/29/08
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
thanks.
-vijay