Fw: Flowering tree--Bauhinia blakeana(hong kong orchid tree)

vinod kumar gupta

Jan 31, 2008, 12:29:21 PM1/31/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This time with the attachment.Sorry for last one going without attchment

Vinod

Jan 31, 2008, 10:08:42 PM1/31/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Vinod ji,
I think this is Kachnar (Bauhinia variegata) with five long stamens as in the picture compared to 3 long ones & two short ones of Hongkong Orchid Tree (Bauhinia blakeana). You may see the earlier thread of Kachnar on Indiantreepix (in which there was a lot of discussion) at: http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/5a3d54b1a8058873/fa050a47e28613f9?lnk=gst&q=Bauhinia+variegata#fa050a47e28613f9

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

vinod kumar gupta

Feb 1, 2008, 7:45:09 AM2/1/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Garg
I am in no way an expert in the field and therefore can be wrong in id
This shot was taken at tree walk led by Mr Pradeep Kishan and was ided as Bauhinia blakeana
Besides:
The flowers were pretty large and  deep coloured
There seem to be 3 long and 2 short stemens(another pic attached)
No leaf shot could be taken(largely because of speed of the walk)

I leave it for the experts to comment further

Vinod
bauhinia_blakeana_sunder-nu.jpg

vinod kumar gupta

Feb 1, 2008, 7:56:14 AM2/1/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
I further think that it is a bit early for kachnar to flower in delhi

J.M. Garg

Feb 1, 2008, 7:15:39 PM2/1/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
On further re-look at the picture, it seems you may be right.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg