(050209SCS1-2) Request ID for this 1 meter tall wild plant

Suresh C. Sharma

May 5, 2009, 11:10:56 AM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
Sonepat, Haryana
2nd May 09.

Request ID.

Kind regs,
Suresh C Sharma
Picture-047.jpg
Picture-048.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 5, 2009, 11:43:29 AM5/5/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
... would that be Scoparia dulcis, the sweet broom ?
Regards.

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2009, 6:00:50 AM5/7/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for Id pl.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Picture-047.jpg
Picture-048.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 7, 2009, 6:27:11 AM5/7/09
to J.M. Garg, Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
... while this be validated and identified, I think what I have as Scoparia dulcis at http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Scoparia+dulcis&m=text (: resembles :) Suresh ji's photos.
AND, Suresh ji: what you consider as fruits, I am seeing them as flower-buds, and I have often seen S. dulcis in a stage when long stretch of the stem / branches are lined with buds with no sign of leaves (or they could be barely noticeable).
BUT, validation required here in any case.
Regards.

Suresh C. Sharma

May 8, 2009, 11:01:23 AM5/8/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
AND, Suresh ji: what you consider as fruits, I am seeing them as flower-buds, and I have often seen S. dulcis in a stage when long stretch of the stem / branches are lined with buds with no sign of leaves (or they could be barely noticeable).
BUT, validation required here in any case.
Regards.

 Thank you Dinesh ji,

It could be S. dulcis. If these 'fruit like things' are flower-buds, then why some of them have dried up (see they are brown) and some are quite green?

Kind regs,
Suresh

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2009, 11:06:42 AM5/8/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
:) :) :)
OK. I do not know about that.
Request wait for comments.
I am eager to know what plant it is.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

May 8, 2009, 12:11:24 PM5/8/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
Here is further feedback alongwith attachment from Suresh ji in a different mail:

"Thank you Dinesh ji,

I saw this image again. Yes indeed, these are tiny flower buds (with  ome white flowers also) which I mistook as fruits.

Yes, indeed it is Scorpia dulchi or Sweet Broom. It is also covered on page 86 in Common Indian Wild Flowers by Isaac Kehimkar.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Suresh C Sharma"

Scoparia_dulcis_-_df_-_(200309b).jpg

Navendu

May 8, 2009, 1:33:33 PM5/8/09
to indiantreepix

it looks more like Veronica anagalis var aquatica

navendu

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2009, 2:34:21 PM5/8/09
to Navendu, indiantreepix
Navendu, I took a look at some pictures of V. anagaliis var. aquatica on internet.
I have a feeling that at the end of this plant's stem, there wont be buds aligned in a fashion we see in Suresh ji's Picture-048.jpg,
Please re-consider.
Regards.

Navendu

May 9, 2009, 2:55:07 AM5/9/09
to indiantreepix

its definitely veronica anagalis, scoparis has radially symmetrical
flowers not zygomorphic as seen in image Scoparia_dulcis_-_df_-_
(200309b).jpg

navendu

Pankaj Oudhia

May 9, 2009, 3:30:42 AM5/9/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Suresh C. Sharma

May 9, 2009, 5:52:46 AM5/9/09
to indiantreepix, Navendu, Pankaj Oudhia, Dinesh Valke

After seeing images of S.dulcis by Dr Pankaj Oudhia, I am sure my plant was different.
I should be Veronica anagalis as identified by Navendu ji.

Thanks to you all.

Now time for some florawatching and flora-photography. Will trouble the experts with new ID request at night.

Dinesh Valke

May 9, 2009, 6:17:34 AM5/9/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix, Navendu, Pankaj Oudhia
Thank you Navendu -- it must be V. anagallis and not S. dulcis.
Many thanks Pankaj ji.
Regards.

Suresh C. Sharma

May 9, 2009, 9:35:47 AM5/9/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix, Navendu, Pankaj Oudhia
Dinesh ji, I am afraid I have messed up two species together. While the one identified by Navendu is certainly V.anagallis, the other one on which you had identified looks like Sweet Broom. I have again gone to the canal this afternoon and will post pix of both plants.

Sorry for mixing up two plants - but you experts can understand a beginner's confusion also.

Regards,
Suresh C Sharma

Dinesh Valke

May 9, 2009, 9:57:02 AM5/9/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix, Navendu, Pankaj Oudhia
... me expert ? that is sure mix up !!!!!!! else all fine.
Cheers.