Unid plant_SGNP_Sept 09_SSN 4

shubhada nikharge

Oct 8, 2009, 7:16:41 AM10/8/09
to indian tree pix
Hi,
Attached pics of a herb taken at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivli, mumbai in the last week of Sept 09.

Is it Isodon coetsa (syn. plectranthus coetsa) ?

cheers,
shubhada

Yahoo! India has a new look. Take a sneak peek.
2009_0928_sgnp_0279 e.JPG
2009_0928_sgnp_0357 e.JPG
2009_0928_sgnp_0359 e.JPG
2009_0928_sgnp_0360 e.JPG
2009_0928_sgnp_0363 e.JPG
2009_0928_sgnp_0267 e.jpg

geeta arun

Oct 8, 2009, 2:07:58 PM10/8/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Shubhada,
It is Orthosiphon thymiflorous -- Family -- Fabaceae.
Geeta.

Nayan Singh

Oct 8, 2009, 11:52:12 PM10/8/09
to geeta arun, indiantreepix
Dear Geeta ji
I think Orthosiphon belongs to Lamiaceae family, am i right?
thanks
 Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Oct 9, 2009, 12:31:27 AM10/9/09
to geeta arun, indian tree pix
Dear Geeta,

 yes. we had identified it as  Orthosiphon pallidus (O. thymiflorous ). it is abundant  in Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
However while going thr'o the book by Shrikant i found similar flowers (Vol II - page 384), from same Lamiaceae family, which resemble the pics i have uploaded ( e.g. the colour, the quadrangular stem with red tinge).

I am confused about the leaves. I therefore wish someone to differentiate bet. the two and explain.
cheers,
shubhada

Oct 9, 2009, 1:33:25 PM10/9/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Yes Nayanje it is Lamiceae family.
Regards,
Geeta Samant.

Usha Desai

Oct 11, 2009, 5:31:19 AM10/11/09
to geeta arun, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
yes Geeta and Shubhada
this is Orthosiphon thymiflorus for the petiole in
Isodon coesta is only 6-12 mm
both belong to the same family[Lamiaceae]
cheers Usha