Flora of Panipat District-Abrus precatorious - 23-9-10

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Arya

23 Sept 2010, 12:56:34 pm23/09/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All

A precatorious from Khukhrana Panipat
A P 11 -unripened seeds on palm

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
tn_Abrus precatorious1.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious3.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious4.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious5.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious6.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious9.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious10.JPG
tn_Abrus precatorious11.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

23 Sept 2010, 1:22:42 pm23/09/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
This is another plant which is enlisted as the top poisonous plants of
the world. Handle with care plz, especially the young seeds which have
lot of alkaloids over the surface.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

23 Sept 2010, 1:27:09 pm23/09/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Pankaj Ji
We'll try our Best to avoid this type of mistake (young seeds on palm)

Gurcharan Singh

23 Sept 2010, 1:55:14 pm23/09/10
to Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes Balkar ji
Have seen shining red seeds, but not such young seeds.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Oudhia

23 Sept 2010, 2:38:39 pm23/09/10
to efloraofindia
I am quoting the Pankaj ji's message posted few days back

"All plants needs to be handled with care. Even a simple plant like
Taraxacum can cause death, Gloriosa is a big deal.
I remember reading one news somewhere. A person died while preparing
string of beads using Abrus precatorius seeds. He was making holes in
the seed using a needle. The needle must have come out from the other
side of the seed and punctured his skin reaching the blood vessels
underneath.
Pankaj "

So please be aware of ------not Abrus but (also) needle. ;)

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

23 Sept 2010, 7:28:17 pm23/09/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Highly poisonous we call it RATTI in bengali
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.