Dalbergia Lanceolaria (Takoli/ Sirsa/ Bithua) ?

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2008, 7:28:57 AM1/14/08
to indiantreepix
Attached pictures of leaves, pods, trunk & dried tree(which actually attracted my attention as it was totally leafless & full of dried pods, simmering in the light, along the bank of a smallish perennial pond) taken at Botanical Gardens, Shibpur, Howrah (Kolkata) on 12/1/08. To me it appeared that it is dried up & on the verge of death. But a few labourers working there pointed out that it is very much alive (How is this happen? as I saw another tree which had both green leaves as well as dry pods). Pods appear quite similar to Shisham ( Dalbergia sissoo).
Is it Dalbergia Lanceolaria (Takoli/ Sirsa/ Bithua)?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 12, 2008, 6:36:24 AM3/12/08
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again as it had gone unided/ unconfirmed.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Neil Soares

Mar 12, 2008, 8:58:31 AM3/12/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Garg,
It is Dalbergia lanceolaria locally called Phanshi
[around Bombay].
Regards,
Neil.

Be a better friend, newshound, and