Request ID

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 3:32:05 AM1/25/11
to efloraofindia

This fruit is called as "Gavalanicha phal" in Marathi. Usaually seeds of it is consumed in stomachache.

Dont know the botanical name.

Does anybody know what it is called?
22_jan 010.jpg
22_jan 012.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 25, 2011, 3:38:36 AM1/25/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
... not sure, but the fruit resembles to that of Trichosanthes tricuspidata, the Marathi name of which is कवंडळ kavandal ... to validate.
Regards
Dinesh

Balkar Arya

Jan 25, 2011, 3:48:20 AM1/25/11
to Dinesh Valke, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
I think Dinesh Ji is right it is T tricuspidata

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 25, 2011, 3:52:10 AM1/25/11
to Dinesh Valke, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
And the Gujarati name is Ratanindrayan; Hindi Lal indrayan, mahakal.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Jan 25, 2011, 3:58:31 AM1/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Yes Gurcharan Ji
In our area it is called as kanchan ki bel

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 4:00:58 AM1/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

Thank you Dineshji, Balkarji, and Gurcharanji.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 25, 2011, 4:01:27 AM1/25/11
to Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji & Balkar ji
There is a, however, a big catch. The calyx seems to be present at the base of the fruits, and there seem to be no remnants of calyx/corollaat the top of the fruit. As such it may not be a member of Cucurbitaceae. May be Solanaceae. Sheetal ji, can you get a photograph of fruit cut though middle crass-wise (Cross section).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 25, 2011, 4:08:44 AM1/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
OK Sir

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 25, 2011, 11:05:12 AM1/25/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I was just about to write that. I also thought this to be Solanaceae.
Uusally Trichosanthes should also have a bit elongated fruit. Even the
peduncle is too thin. What brought me doubts where the deformity of
the fruit on the front may be because of which corolla might have
fallen off and as for calyx, I think its there is something looking
like calyx blow the peduncle over the fruit.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Vijayasankar

Jan 25, 2011, 11:21:40 AM1/25/11
to Pankaj Kumar, sheetal....@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
It does look like Trichosanthes. You may confirm it simply by observing the pulp which will be dark green or black.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 3, 2011, 6:59:49 AM2/3/11
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes  this looks Trichosanthes,

Have attached the fruit cut in two sections. The fruit is almost dried so i think the pulp inside has also dried.

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

Trichosanthes cut.jpg

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 3, 2011, 7:16:18 AM2/3/11
to efloraofindia
Small herb with beautiful red flowers.

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

Balcony view 1.jpg
Balcony View 2.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 3, 2011, 7:20:12 AM2/3/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Could this be Verbena?
Pankaj

Vijayadas D

Feb 3, 2011, 9:43:10 AM2/3/11
to Pankaj Kumar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
I also think this is Verbena sps.
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 3, 2011, 10:11:46 AM2/3/11
to Vijayadas D, Pankaj Kumar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Sheetal ji
Please have a unique ID for your posts
The two threads got mixed up.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 3, 2011, 11:11:50 AM2/3/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayadas D, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Sir,

I also dont know how it happened.

Sheetal Pachpande
Research student,