Re: [efloraofindia:87506] Re: Please identify this Orchid - NS131011

Neil Soares

Oct 16, 2011, 1:40:03 PM10/16/11
to efloraofindia, Dr Pankaj Kumar
Hi Dr. Pankaj & Dr. Giby,
  Inclement weather [read thundershowers] has played havoc with the original orchid. However, found these 2 also flowering. Am not sure if they are the same as the one in question.
  Sending a few photographs,
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares

Oct 16, 2011, 8:27:03 PM10/16/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Respected Neil Sir
You might have to check the number of anthers. This could be Eria nana too now called as Conchidium nanum.
For Dendrobium nanum it should have 2 pollinia and for Conchidium nanum it should have 8, joined together with viscidium.
This is not the time for Dendrobium peguanum to flower unless it flowered abruptly.
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 16, 2011, 8:29:01 PM10/16/11
to Sabapathy Mylswamy, sabapathy mylswamy, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Dear Sabapathy,
Hope you are doing fine.
Can you please check for these pics.
I thought it could be Eria nana, but it is very close to Dendrobium nanum too. I would be grateful if you can let me know the difference between two if I just have the pics.
I would be grateful.
Regards
Pankaj
Unknown orchid 1a.jpg
Unknown orchid 1b.jpg
Unknown orchid 1c.jpg
Unknown orchid 1d.jpg
Unknown orchid 2.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 16, 2011, 11:47:14 PM10/16/11
to Neil Soares, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Respected Neil Sir
I inquired Dr. Sathiosh Kumar at TBGRI.
He confirmed that this is Dendrobium peguanum Lindl.
Regards
Pankaj

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36c, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 16, 2011, 11:55:40 PM10/16/11
to efloraofindia
This is confusing because in my (Jharkhand) place Dendrobium peguanum
Lindl. flowers during January-February and during flowering period I
have never seen it with leaves.
Pankaj

On Oct 17, 11:47 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Respected Neil Sir
> I inquired Dr. Sathiosh Kumar at TBGRI.
> He confirmed that this is Dendrobium peguanum Lindl.
> Regards
> Pankaj
>

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dr. Pankaj & Dr. Giby,
> >   Inclement weather [read thundershowers] has played havoc with the
> > original orchid. However, found these 2 also flowering. Am not sure if they
> > are the same as the one in question.
> >   Sending a few photographs,
> >                        With regards,
> >                          Neil Soares

giby.kuriakose

Oct 17, 2011, 1:04:49 AM10/17/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Dr Pankaj Kumar
Yes this is Dendrobium peguanum.
In Eria nana the lip & spur would be much shorter than the other lobes.
Lip is purplish (picture- Unknown Orchid 1C) for D. peguanum

Regards,
Giby

Pankaj Kumar

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 17, 2011, 2:12:20 AM10/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj,

I was also thinking this as Eria than Dendrobium until I see the flower pictures.
Sometime guessing would give an opportunity to others to learn things critically. Since there was a doubt between Eria and Dendrobium we discussed this in detail and reached a conclusion without any doubt. Now, when someone go to field and see this plant or simiar looking plant without flowers, they would certainly want to see the flowers to reach the id because non flowering individuals are not enough to reach the species id that is clear from this thread.
What I feel is that please continue throw your guesses that would give us a chance to discuss more and more. Mostly guesses were always throwing light to some new learning to all of us.
Further, as you pointed earlier, dealing id with the help of pictures is always tricky. Hence guesses and discussions over guesses would be very much needed to reach a conclusion with maximum possible characters available in the given picture.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

Neil Soares

Oct 17, 2011, 2:52:47 AM10/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Thanks Dr.Giby & Dr. Pankaj for identifying this species of orchid.
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.