Seeking ID for these Blue Flowers

Ramjee Gmail

Jul 12, 2008, 4:58:29 AM7/12/08
to TreePix India

Dear Friends,

Vanakkam! Greetings from Chennai, Tamil Nadu/

Not sure if this is a wild flower… I got to see this plant with beautiful light-blue coloured flowers, that looked like its very leaves having changed its colour, in the neighbourhood.

Seeking help to recognize the plant id.

Thank you.

Regards,

ramjee

image001.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jul 12, 2008, 6:36:42 AM7/12/08
to Ramjee Gmail, indian...@googlegroups.com

if some body has recognised this as aboli or wild aboli its wrong.

aboli belongs to family Acantheaceae. it has inflorencence with bracts. it is a small shrub with height upto about 2 feet.

leaves are of about 1 to2 inches long

sorry to say but this is not the one identified

please see the difference in androecium and gynoecium too

madhuri

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 12, 2008, 8:21:46 AM7/12/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, Ramjee Gmail, indian...@googlegroups.com
PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

J.M. Garg

Jul 12, 2008, 8:46:17 AM7/12/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, formp...@yahoo.com, Ramjee Gmail, indian...@googlegroups.com
At first sight, it looks like it (Plumbago auriculata). Pl. see the link for pictures:http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=PLUMBAGO%20AURICULATA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi & for details: http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/plumbago.cfm

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link on Plumbago auriculata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumbago_auriculata

Plumbago auriculata, also called Plumbago capensis, Blue plumbago, Cape blumbago or Cape leadwort, is a well known houseplant originally from South Africa.[1][2]

Plumbago auriculata grows fast and to 1.8 meters (6 feet) tall. It has light blue to blue flowers and also variations with white (Plumbago auriculata var. alba) or deep blue (Plumbago auriculata 'Royal cape') flowers. The leaves are green and grow to 5 cm (2 in) long.[2][1]

It grows well in a container outdoors and can be watered freely in the summer. To get the flowers to appear, the plumbago requires a warm place in full sun or partial shade.[2]

PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 19, 2008, 12:09:39 PM7/19/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, formp...@yahoo.com, Ramjee Gmail, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is reply from Vijay Shankar ji:
"Mr. Ramjee
This is called Neela Chitramoolam (Blue-flowered Plumbago) in Tamil. Commonly planted in gardens, especially along edges, for ornamental purpose. Scientific name is Plumbago auriculata. Its relatives such as Plumbago indica/ P. rosea (red flowered) and P. zeylanica (white-flowered) are wild and widely used in medicine.
regards
RVS"

PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

With regards,
J.M.Garg

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Ramjee Gmail

Jul 20, 2008, 7:55:52 AM7/20/08
to J.M. Garg, Anand Kumar Bhatt, formp...@yahoo.com, TreePix India
Dear Friends,

Vanakkam! Greetings from Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

Am happy that I've become a member of this group. Wow, am feeling happy that I've learnt the names of two plants in the recent past. I would be grateful to all if you could add a few sentences about the plant like Mr. Vijay Shankar has done for my query. This helps me do my sharing of learning during my nature trails, a little more effectively.

The yellow flower I had shared with these is definitely not Cassia tora, which these days am able to recognize with my new-found-knowledge, very easily in the wild with their long characteristic pods.

Thank you all once again for helping me learn.

With kind regards,

ramjee
PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

clear=all>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Jul 20, 2008, 9:59:50 AM7/20/08
to Ramjee Gmail, J.M. Garg, Anand Kumar Bhatt, formp...@yahoo.com, TreePix India
It is Plumbago zeylanica.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

Messenger blocked? Want to chat? Here is the solution.

J.M. Garg

Jul 20, 2008, 10:15:16 AM7/20/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Ramjee Gmail, Anand Kumar Bhatt, formp...@yahoo.com, TreePix India
Hi, Mahadeswara ji,
Thanks for the feedback. But Plumbago zeylanica appears to be different from the one posted & identified as Plumbago auriculata earlier against this post. Here is a link for Plumbago zeylanica: http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week187.shtml

PLUMBAGO AURICULATA?
AKBHATT

Messenger blocked? Want to chat? Here is the solution.

weedy

Jul 21, 2008, 10:03:26 PM7/21/08
to indiantreepix
I have this - plumbago auriculata, growing in my garden for years. Has
stopped gaining height at about two feet. Blooms in temperate weather.
I suppose this is not the variety that is used for medicinal purposes
then, going by a post in this thread.

BTW, would it be easier to read threads, and also take up less of
virtual space if we deleted the quoted tail of messages in our
replies...they come in order after all; and we can always insert
someone's quote.

RKC