'Martynia annua' from Durgwadi, Dist. Pune

Swagat

Nov 14, 2009, 12:43:27 AM11/14/09
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

'Martynia annua' is called 'Vinchavi' in Marathi.

Photographed at Durgwadi, Dist. Pune, Maharashtra

Date- 30th Oct 2009.

Please confirm the ID.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

301009-Vinchavi-Swagat1.jpg
301009-Vinchavi-Swagat2.jpg
301009-Vinchavi-Swagat3.jpg
301009-Vinchavi-Swagat4.jpg
301009-Vinchavi-Swagat5.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 14, 2009, 1:00:04 AM11/14/09
to Swagat, indiantreepix
... for sure, Martynia annua.
Regards.

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 14, 2009, 1:19:39 AM11/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

rashida atthar

Nov 14, 2009, 1:20:40 AM11/14/09
to swaga...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Swagat ji looks like it is Vinchavi. Posting a pic of Vinchavi with flower buds for comparison, taken on the way to Kaas plateaus, Satara district, in Sep '09.

regards
Rashida.

Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:13:27 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:22972] 'Martynia annua' from Durgwadi, Dist. Pune
From: swaga...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

From the events that change the world, to the ones that just shouldn’t be missed. Catch it all on MSN India. Drag n’ drop
Martynia annua Vinchavi buds.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 14, 2009, 1:32:32 AM11/14/09
to rashida atthar, swaga...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Swagat ji, many thanks for sharing the photos, especially 301009-Vinchavi-Swagat3.jpg

... a very clear picture justifying all these names perfectly:
devil's claw, tiger's-claw • Bengali: বাঘনখী baghnakhi • Hindi: बाघनख baghnakh, हाथाजोड़ी hatha-jori, उलट-कांटा ulat-kanta • Kannada: ಗರುಡ ಮೂಗು ಮುಳ್ಳು garuda mugu mullu, ಹುಲಿ ನಖ huli nakha, ಹುಲಿ ಉಗುರು huli uguru • Malayalam: പുലിനഖം puli-nakham • Marathi: विंचवी vinchavi, विंचू vinchu • Nepalese: बिरालो-नङ्ग्रि biralo-nangri, ग्रिध्दरनंकी gridharnankee • Oriya: baghanakhi • Sanskrit: काकनसा kakanasa • Tamil: புலிநகம் puli-nakam, தேட்கொடுக்கி tet-kotukki • Telugu: గరుడముకు garudamukku

Regards.

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 14, 2009, 1:38:29 AM11/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
In my region farmers practice Traditional Agricultural Knowledge about Martynia to manage crop pest in many crops including rice. Herbal Mala prepared from Martynia is used by Tantriks. For details please visit

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/57_mala.html

Pankaj Oudhia