MORACEAE: Ficus pumila L.

Skip to the first unread message

Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2011, 10:39:13 am25/09/11
to indiantreepix
Ficus pumila Sp. Pl. 1060 1753.

Family: MORACEAE

Current Location: On the hill slopes and walls in KFBG campus, Hong Kong.

Note: I had never seen this in fruits in Indian gardens.

Regards
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG

Balkar Arya

25 Sept 2011, 11:00:57 am25/09/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Very Beautiful fruits Pankaj Ji
Thanks for showing
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

25 Sept 2011, 12:06:42 pm25/09/11
to efloraofindia
pankaj ji...
your pic presentation has changed dramatically...
is this some new program?
how are you doing it...can you share?

usha di

=

On Sep 25, 8:00 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very Beautiful fruits Pankaj Ji
> Thanks for showing
>
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ficus pumila Sp. Pl. 1060 1753.
>
> > Family: MORACEAE
>
> > Current Location: On the hill slopes and walls in KFBG campus, Hong Kong.
>
> > Note: I had never seen this in fruits in Indian gardens.
>
> > Regards
> > Pankaj
>
> > --
> > "Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"
>
> > Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> > Conservation Officer
>
> > Office:
> > Flora Conservation Department
> > Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
> > Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.
>
> > Residence:
> > 36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
> > Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.
>
> > email: pku...@kbfg.org
> >        sahanipan...@gmail.com
> >        pankajsah...@rediffmail.com

hemant

25 Sept 2011, 8:40:48 pm25/09/11
to efloraofindia
pankajai,
Very nice. I have seen ficus pumila for last thirty years but never
come across the fruits.
F.pumila is common in all hill stations as well in kokan. lot of old
buildings in Lonavala/khandala/mahabaleshwara are fully covered by
this.
For today if enough moisture is provided can be used for green walls.
Hemant

On Sep 25, 9:06 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Ushadi micromini

25 Sept 2011, 10:27:00 pm25/09/11
to efloraofindia
So Hemant ji, Question arises, if it does not fruit how does it spread
far and wide, on top of buildings?

its generally from bird poop, seeds being ingested from fruit eating..
mystery?

ssolution??
Usha di
=

Dr Pankaj Kumar

25 Sept 2011, 11:38:31 pm25/09/11
to efloraofindia
It spreads by vegetative growth of the creeping stem.
Regards
Pankaj

On Sep 26, 10:27 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

hari lal

26 Sept 2011, 12:03:21 am26/09/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
very nice sir thanks for sharing
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Anand Kumar Bhatt

26 Sept 2011, 12:28:48 am26/09/11
to hari lal, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
On this  site somebody reported that this weakens the wall which slowly disintegrates, and therefore is very different from ivy which is not harmful to the building it spreads on. Should we use it on walls in tropical climate or no. Ivy if I understand correctly can be successfully grown in temperate climate only.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Pankaj Kumar

26 Sept 2011, 12:32:43 am26/09/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, hari lal, efloraofindia
Yes it does weakens the wall PLASTERS!!! as according to my personal
experience.
Pankaj

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com