Stereospermum chelonoides (Linn.f.) DC. - Padal Capsules

rashida atthar

Sep 29, 2009, 10:41:40 AM9/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The capsules of Stereospermum chelonoides, cylindric, with white speck was seen at the silonda trail, national park, Mumbai on 27 September '09.

regards,
Rashida.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop
Stereospermum chelonoides capsules upto 60cm.JPG
Stereospermum chelonoides capsule with white specks.JPG
Stereospermum chelonoides branching.JPG
Stereospermum chelonoides leaves.JPG
Stereospermum chelonoides bark.JPG

Vijayasankar Raman

Sep 30, 2009, 5:30:36 AM9/30/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida,

Attached is Stereospermum chelonoides (L.f.) DC.(= S. suaveolens (Roxb.) DC.). The capsule is almost the size of a drumstick with no or shallow angles. Whereas, fruits of S. colais (Buch.Ham. ex Dillw.) Mabberley [= S. tetragonum DC.; S. personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee] are slender, 4-angled and twisted.
regards
vijayasankar
stereospermum chelonoides_11.jpg

rashida atthar

Sep 30, 2009, 11:29:54 AM9/30/09
to vijay.b...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello  Vijayasankar ji,

Thank you for the pics. Referring to Flora of Mah., Vol. III , I feel that the leaves in your pic are of Stereospermum personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee.  The leaves of S. personatum are broad, elliptic, caudate acuminate, Glabrous, often oblique. As your pic shows the leaves are glabrous, whereas S.chelonoides is often serrulate, rough above, pubescent below. The capsule in your pic. too matches more with the sketch  in the volume with S.personatum.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:00:36 +0530
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:19762] Stereospermum chelonoides (Linn.f.) DC. - Padal Capsules
From: vijay.b...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

geeta arun

Sep 30, 2009, 2:16:32 PM9/30/09
to rashida atthar, vijay.b...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida,
Posting pictures of Stereospermum clenoides ( Padal ) which was seen flowering and fruiting at CEC - BNHS  on 25th May 2009.
Regards,
Geeta

Stereospermum chelonoides.jpg
Stereospermum chelonoides -- Leaves.jpg
Stereospermum chelonoides -- Flower..jpg

rashida atthar

Oct 1, 2009, 11:11:25 AM10/1/09
to geeta...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Geeta Thanks for the pics. They are of Stereospermum personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee.

There is confusion with regards to the common name. The caudate leaves and light yellow flowers are S. Personatum(Hassk.) Chatterjee.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:46:32 +0530
From: geeta...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: vijay.b...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop<br

Swagat

Oct 1, 2009, 12:25:42 PM10/1/09
to rashida atthar, geeta...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Stereospermum personatum' is called 'Padaree' 'पाद्री' in Marathi.

and

'Stereospermum clenoides ' is called 'Padal' 'पाडळ' / 'Parul' 'परूळ' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Mahendra Prasad

Oct 10, 2009, 1:09:47 AM10/10/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vijayasankar, for the lovely, clear pix of capsule and leaves, ( also presumably S. chelonoides ). Would help greatly in distinguishing features, leading to more accurate ID. The hand in the pix provides an indication of size of capsule and leaves.

Oct 10, 2009, 1:29:46 AM10/10/09
to geeta arun, rashida atthar, vijay.b...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Geeta for your lovely and clear pix also, of the flower and leaves of S. clenoides ( spelling ? ).  What are the dark brown/maroon bud-like structures in the background of the flower of S.chelonoides. It's buds ?